[ibis-macro] Re: Important question, please reply!

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:45:12 -0800

Arpad:

After thinking about the discussion and problem, I have
some more thoughts.

Why do we need it defined outside the range?

Like with IBIS models, the burden should fall on the
model developer to provide the data over a reasonable
range of operation.  The tool using the macro library
will implement the macros according to their actual
operation.  Some tools will do HE,, others will do SE.

This would occur whether or not the macro is officially
defined for one mode and a non-compliant vendor still
uses the macro approach.

So, I would now leave it as undefined, and encourage
that the data cover a reaonable range of operation,
as defined in the IBIS Spec.   (HE of time data seems
seems to automatically occur in all tools to the
point that truncating the time data is a good
practice.)

Bob

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:

All,

I would like to get everyone's input on this question,
because we could not decide in today's meeting which
way the library should implement the PWL sources.  The
difficulty in making a decision is due the conflict of
various aspirations:  tool compatibility (everyone seems
to be doing something different, even multiple tools of
the same company are some times different), maximum
flexibility, and consistency.

1) What should the PWL sources do when the input is
outside the range of the table definition? The options
I can think of are:
a) Repeat the first or last points, which amounts to a
horizontal extrapolation (HE), or
b) use the first and last slopes and extrapolate with that,
which I call slope extrapolation (SE), or
c) use HE for PWL-s in which the independent axis is time,
and use SE for PWL-s in which the independent axis is voltage or current
d) add a parameter to the model and let the user choose.

2) The second question is regarding the event triggered
PWL sources. Does anyone else besides Cadence's have such PWL sources? If so, could you please describe it to me so
I could choose an implementation that matches most tools.

You response would be very important. If you feel
uncomfortable to reply publicly, please send an email to me directly. I know we have at lest 10 companies
on this list, so I would like to get at least 10
different answers, though :-)

-- Bob Ross Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC Teraspeed Labs 121 North River Drive 13610 SW Harness Lane Narragansett, RI 02882 Beaverton, OR 97008 401-284-1827 503-430-1065 http://www.teraspeed.com 503-246-8048 Direct bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC