[ibis-macro] Re: IMPORTANT question about IBIS-AMI keywords

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 07:35:21 -0800

Eckhard,

Correct, Model_specific is already optional, but not exactly
for the same reason.  Currently it is optional because not
all models may need parameters from that section.  The proposed
optionality is more along the lines of using the keyword as
a "separator" between the required and optional parameter
branches even when model specific parameters exist in the model.

We are not proposing to remove the entire content of these
branches.  The parameters behind (or under) these branches
would still remain, but would be stepped up by one notch
in the hierarchy.  This is kind of like flattening out a
hierarchical netlist, taking things out of two subcircuits
and putting the content of them to the top level of the
netlist without using the subcircuit statements.

Regarding your vote below, I am sensing that you may be voting
the middle ground because you feel that optionality gives us
a little more freedom of choice.  In the light of what I wrote
in my answer to the first question above, I wonder if you
still hold that opinion.

For the 2nd question the issue is more of a syntax cleanup
issue.  Format, as it is today is already inconsistent with
the rest of the spec, beaus it has three items inside the
parentheses, not two, and together with Default it may be
completely redundant.  We would like to clean that up (i.e.
get rid of it completely), but the a vote "2b" would require
us to keep the existing syntax for the future which is what
the proposal wants to eliminate...

I can certainly relate to your general comments on the IBIS
spec.  I sympathized with Mike Mirmak's proposals of having a
complete overhaul of the spec, but that is almost like starting
over from scratch.  Well, not quite, because we would have a lot
of experience in spec writing, but the new spec would be like
starting over.  This would be a lot of work, but would allow
us to get rid of a lot of baggage that we are carrying around
for mostly historical reasons (and backward compatibility).
A complete overhaul would be very expensive, in terms of
writing the spec as well as EDA tool implementation, and it
feels that as long as we can keep patching the old spec, we
will just keep doing that, even if it is becoming more and
more painful.  I wonder some times whether IBIS will just die
a natural death for this very reason...  Well, we will find
out at some point in the future.  Either way, the questions
being voted on are an attempt to correct a few things in the
AMI syntax early on so that these issues wouldn't haunt us for
the rest of the life of the AMI spec...