[ibis-macro] IBIS-ATM teleconference - Agenda for 9/16/2008

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:21:54 -0700

Time:  September 16, 2008  Noon  PDST
=====

Audio:
======
Voice dial-in:    (800) 637-5822
International: +1 (647) 723-3937 <--- (For Canada)
                      0201400572 <--- (For Sweden)
Access Code:            685-0440

Web
===
Click Here to Join Live Meeting:

http://tinyurl.com/yvmesj
or:

https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/sisoft/join?id=NKQQN3&role=attend&pw=TP8j
%23-%25%7E5

Mentor Global Crossing Teleconference commands:
http://www.globalcrossing.com/customer/collaboration/cust_ready_access_t
ips.aspx

FIRST TIME USERS: To save time before the meeting, check your
system to make sure it is compatible with Microsoft Office Live
Meeting.

Agenda
======

1) Opens
2) Call for any related patent disclosures
3) Review of ARs:

Don't recall any AR-s from last week.

Old ARs:

- David Banas: Report Xilinx position on LTI assumption for SerDes
  - no update

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - not done

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          [External ...] also?

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

4) Finalize the IBIS-SPICE document draft to be sent to Synopsys.

Food for thought:
=================

What needs are we really trying to solve with this recent effort
of EMD/EBD proposals?

   * Hierarchy problems between .IBS, .PKG, .ICM, .EBD files?
     - should the .ibs file (buffer model) instantiate the
       package model (.pkg or .icm) or the other way around?
     - if .icm files were to be used for S-parameter T-line models,
       which file would instantiate that?  Even if there was a
       link between .ibs and .icm files, it doesn't make sense
       to call a PCB T-line from the .ibs file which is the
       description of a component (integrated circuit)...

This was discussed on 9/9/2008.  Walter stated that any effort to
keep ICM alive is wrong.  ICM has to be put to rest.  MM stated
that no spec was ever dropped, but if there is anything better
people will naturally switch for the better.  It was also stated
that ICM was to be tool-generic.  Walter's reply was that the
proposed IBIS-SPICE is going to be tool-generic also.  For
additional discussion details please see the meeting minutes.

   * There is a need for a netlisting syntax in IBIS simulators
     which can act as a top level netlist calling buffers, packages,
     connectors, T-lines, etc... to put all bits and pieces together.
     - the "best" netlisting syntax we have in the IBIS world
       today is the .ICM nodal path description syntax, but it
       was not intended to be used for PCB traces (and it has
       some shortcomings, limitations).
     - the next "best" we have is EBD, but it is severely limited

   * Establish a link between .IBS and .ICM files so that an IBIS
     buffer could have a seamless association with an .ICM package,
     just as it used to be with the internal or external .pkg
     description.
     - we have serious problems with the IBIS assumption of one to
       one pin and pad relationship which made it very hard or
       impossible to have branching in the package (one to many, or
       many to one connections between pins and pads), consequently
       stacked die models are not possible with IBIS package models
       currently.

   * We talked about standardizing SPICE (or a SPICE subset) on
     numerous occasions

   * Are there any other problems I am forgetting?

   * How much of this is solved/addressed by the current EMD/EBD
     proposals?