[ibis-macro] IBIS-ATM teleconference - Agenda for 6/1/2010

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:00:21 -0700

Time:  June 1, 2010  Noon  US Pacific Daylight Time
=====

Audio:
======
Voice dial-in:    (800) 637-5822
International: +1 (647) 723-3937 <--- (For Canada)
                      0114501530 <--- (For Sweden)
                      0201400572 <--- (For Sweden Toll Free)
                    069509594672 <--- (For Germany)
                     08001014542 <--- (For Germany Toll free)
Access Code:            685-0440

Web
===
Click Here to Join Live Meeting:

http://tinyurl.com/yvmesj
or:

https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/sisoft/join?id=NKQQN3&role=attend&pw=TP8j
%23-%25%7E5

Mentor Global Crossing Teleconference commands:
http://www.globalcrossing.com/customer/collaboration/cust_ready_access_t
ips.aspx

FIRST TIME USERS: To save time before the meeting, check your
system to make sure it is compatible with Microsoft Office Live
Meeting.

Agenda
======

1) Opens
2) Call for any related patent disclosures
3) Review of ARs:

Arpad:  Correct Flow_7's statistical slides, add missing combinations
        - not done

Arpad:  Write Section 2 based on the agreed upon flow diagram
        - in progress

Any other AR-s?

Old ARs:

- Arpad:  Write parameter passing syntax proposal (BIRD draft)
          for *-AMS models in IBIS that is consistent with the
          parameter passing syntax of the AMI models
          - not done

- TBD:    Propose a parameter passing syntax for the SPICE
          [External ...] also?

- Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
          - deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

4)  Discuss the four BIRD drafts from Walter (see attached files)
    - bird_format.txt
    - bird_labels.txt
    - bird_string.txt
    - bird_value_default.txt

5)  IBIS Summit preparations?

BIRD ID#:        ?
ISSUE TITLE:     IBIS-AMI Allow Use Keyword Value in Reserved Parameters
REQUESTER:       Walter Katz, Signal Integrity Software, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED:  June 15, 2010
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

In the Section 6c, "ALGORITHMIC MODELING INTERFACE (AMI )", it states:

| Reserved Parameters:
|
| Init_Returns_Impulse, Use_Init_Output, GetWave_Exists,
| Max_Init_Aggressors and Ignore_Bits
|
| The model parameter file must have a sub-tree with the
| heading ?Reserved_Parameters?. This sub-tree shall contain
| all the reserved parameters for the model.
|
| The following reserved parameters are used by the EDA tool
| and are required if the [Algorithmic Model] keyword is
| present. The entries following the reserved parameters
| points to its usage, type and default value. All reserved
| parameters must be in the following format:
|
| (parameter_name (Usage <usage>)(Type <data_type>)
| (Default <values>) (Description <string>))

This is contradicted for Reserved Parameters Tx_Jitter, Tx_DCD, Rx_Clock_PDF
and Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity.

The suggestion is to allow (Value <values>) instead of (Default <values>) for
the Reserved Parameters Init_Returns_Impulse, Use_Init_Output, GetWave_Exists,
Max_Init_Aggressors and Ignore_Bits.

Replace this text:

| Reserved Parameters:
|
| Init_Returns_Impulse, Use_Init_Output, GetWave_Exists,
| Max_Init_Aggressors and Ignore_Bits
|
| The model parameter file must have a sub-tree with the
| heading ?Reserved_Parameters?. This sub-tree shall contain
| all the reserved parameters for the model.
|
| The following reserved parameters are used by the EDA tool
| and are required if the [Algorithmic Model] keyword is
| present. The entries following the reserved parameters
| points to its usage, type and default value. All reserved
| parameters must be in the following format:
|
| (parameter_name (Usage <usage>)(Type <data_type>)
| (Default <values>) (Description <string>))

--------------

With the following text with changes noted by "|*"  lines:

| Reserved Parameters:
|
| Init_Returns_Impulse, Use_Init_Output, GetWave_Exists,
| Max_Init_Aggressors and Ignore_Bits
|
| The model parameter file must have a sub-tree with the
| heading ?Reserved_Parameters?. This sub-tree shall contain
| all the reserved parameters for the model.
|
| The following reserved parameters are used by the EDA tool
| and are required if the [Algorithmic Model] keyword is
| present. The entries following the reserved parameters
| points to its usage, type and default value. All reserved
|* parameters must be in one of the following formats:
|*
|* (parameter_name (Usage <usage>)(Type <data_type>)
|* (Default <values>) (Description <string>))
|*
|* (parameter_name (Usage <usage>)(Type <data_type>)
|* (Value <values>) (Description <string>))

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

BIRD ID#:        ?
ISSUE TITLE:     IBIS-AMI Keyword Format Clarification
REQUESTER:       Walter Katz, Signal Integrity Software, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED:  June 15, 2010
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

In the Section 6c, "ALGORITHMIC MODELING INTERFACE (AMI )", the use of the
keyword Format in parameter declarations is inconsistent with the common use
of parameter tree structures.

It is dificult for humans to read .ami files when Format is included.

The existing IBIS AMI Check program does not flag as an error or warning when
Format is not included.

The suggestion is to make the use of the keyword Format optional.

At the bottom of page 141, add the following Note:

| 3. Throughout the section, the use of the keyword Format is optional.

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

BIRD ID#:        ?
ISSUE TITLE:     IBIS-AMI Keyword Labels Clarification
REQUESTER:       Walter Katz, Signal Integrity Software, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED:  June 15, 2010
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

In the Section 6c, "ALGORITHMIC MODELING INTERFACE (AMI )", the branch
"Labels" is used to assign names to columns in a "Table".

The suggestion is to use "Labels" in a similar way to assign names to entires
in a "List".

The existing IBIS AMI Check program does not flag as an error or warning when
"Labels" are included in this way in a "List" branch.

Replace this text:

--------------

With the following text with changes noted by "|*"  lines:

|   Format: (default is range)
|     Value <value> Single value data
|*              One of the leaves of branch containing this List can be
|*              named "Labels" and, if provided, is to be assigned a string
|*              value containing a list of List entry names.
|               After expansion, the allowed values of the parameter are
|               typ+N*delta where N is any positive or negative integer
|               value such that: min <= typ + N*delta <= max
|               Treat exactly like Increment with
|     Table The parameter name "Table" names a branch of the parameter
|               tree rather than a single leaf. One of the leaves of this
|               branch can be named "Labels" and, if provided, is to be
|               assigned a string value containing a list of column names.

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

BIRD ID#:        ?
ISSUE TITLE:     IBIS-AMI String Token Clarification
REQUESTER:       Walter Katz, Signal Integrity Software, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED:  June 15, 2010
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

In the Section 3.1.2.6 AMI_parameters (_in and _out), that desribes the string
passed into and out of the DLL, it states:

| String literal values are delimited using a double quote (") and no double
| quotes are allowed inside the string literals.

On page 141 it states

|   Description <string>:
|     ASCII string following Description describes a reserved parameter,
|     model specific parameter, or the Algorithmic model itself. It is used
|     by the EDA platform to convey information to the end-user. The entire
|     line has to be limited to IBIS line length specification. String
|     literals begin and end with a double quote (") and no double quotes are
|     allowed inside the string literals.

IBIS 5.0 does not state that the values of parameters that are Type String
must begin and end with a double quote (").

It is dificult for humans to read .ami files when " are used on all strings.

The existing IBIS AMI Check program does not flag as an error or warning when
the value of a Type String parameter does not begin and end with a double
quote (").

The suggestion is to not require values of parameters that are Type String
to begin and end with a double quote ("), unless the string contains white
space, tabs, commas, or end of line characters.