[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-ATM teleconference - Agenda for 10/6/2009

  • From: "Danil Kirsanov" <dkirsanov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:16:45 -0400

Hi Arpad,
Thank you one more time for leading this discussion. Here are my comments on
new AMI specs on behalf of Ansoft (sorry if I am re-iterating some of the
questions you answered before):

- we totally agree with the change proposed on 9/8 (TX Getwave goes in front
of channel convolution).
- for the rest of the changes, we believe that we need more discussion
before they go into the final spec. We are concerned that the AMI chart is
getting more and more complicated, while in some cases these complications
can be avoided.

For example, we believe that the simulator behavior should not depend on the
fact whether GetWave function exists or not (9/29 proposition). By
definition, this is just a non-linear part of the transmitter/receiver
algorithm that is applied on the simulation stage. If the model writer does
not need it, he should not include it in the library or should just include
an empty function. So far I do not see that any problems with this workflow.

Similarly, we are concerned about the case where in the Init function the
model returns only the impulse response of the model h_tei(), instead of
returning h_ac()*h_tei(). For many FFE algorithms h_tei is just a sum of
several delta functions, so we might see some numerical problems if engine
and model writers have different algorithms for convolution. Is the only
reason that we need h_tei separately is that some simulators might introduce
noise after transmitter but before the channel?

So it would be great if we have some examples that show why these particular
complications in AMI flow are necessary. I've seen some discussions on these
topics in the previous meetings of AMI committee, but I failed to find the
summary of those discussions (sorry if I missed something).

So, could we, for example, consider the simplest implementation of AMI
algorithm:

Initialization:
h_ac -> TX_Init -> h_ac()*h_tei() -> RX_Init -> h_ac()*h_tei()*h_rei()

Simulation:
x(t) -> TX_Getwave -> Engine convolution with h_ac()*h_tei()*h_rei() ->
RX_Getwave

It would be great if we could discuss the cases where this simple scheme
wouldn't work (assuming the model writer can write any code in Init and
Getwave).

Sorry one more time if I missed some previous arguments on this topic; I did
my best to go through the documents related to the previous AMI meetings.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in today's discussion (I have
to be on AMI-promoting presentation on our road show), so I hope that you
can take our concerns into consideration, and maybe forward my e-mail to the
other people on the committee.

Thank you one more time for all your work,
Danil