[ibis-macro] IBIS-AMI technical comments - BR_1

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:59:17 -0800

All:

Everyone was asked to submit comments to the document.  Sorry,
I have many technical comments and many editorial comments
and can only deal with a few at a time.

1. Remove the paragraphs on page 3 that restrict parameter names.

---------

| The root and branch names are case sensitive, and must start with a letter [a-Z], and may
| contain letters [a-Z], numbers [0-9], and underscore [_].
|
| Parameter names are case sensitive, and must start with a letter [a-Z], and may contain letters | [a-Z], numbers [0-9], and underscore [_], except tap parameter leaves which must be a positive | integer, negative integer or zero. By convention reserved parameters will be a leaf off the | root and start with a capital letter [A-Z]. It is highly recommended that two parameter names
| should not differ by case alone.

---------

These might be good style guide rules, but there is no technical justification
to make these rules a syntactical requirement.  They must be checked, which
delays a parser implementation.  I would rather not deal with imposing arbitrary
new restrictions that are technically unnecessary because of the risk of
breaking existing implementations and because of the extra delay in
implementing parsing code and checking.

2.  I objection to 'NA'.  I understand that it could be a nice
feature for designing an interface or flags, but this creates a
syntactical complication and extra special cases to deal with.  One
consequence is that the formal syntax now has to specified down to
the <value> and <value-na> level for each keyword and subparameter,
and now parsers have one more context-sensitive rule that has to be
coded.

I can start a list of specific consequences, but this is feature-creep
which causes delay in the parser and in the specification and raises the
question for better alternatives.  It impacts rigorous test case
development.  We do not need to be delayed on this issue.

Bob

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC