[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-AMI RX model

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:46:16 -0700

Resend...

Arpad

=========

From: Muranyi, Arpad
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:33 AM
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-AMI RX model

Todd,

I see a difference between calling the AMI specification infant,

and being able to use what works in it successfully.  I will give

you just one example (from the many possible candidates) to

illustrate this.

The spec lists a few reserved parameters starting on pg. 144.

Several of these can be (Usage Info) and (Usage Out).  But we

have two AMI_parameters_out argument, one for the AMI_Init and

another for the AMI_GetWave function.  The description of these

parameters do not mention which of these arguments will return

these parameters.  We can only guess.  True, based on the meaning

of these parameters we can formulate an "educated guess", but

that doesn't change the fact that it is only a guess.  If we are

lucky and guessed correctly, the simulation will do miracles.

In that case you might claim that the model (spec?) was "ready for

production work" because the user of the model was able to finish

his/her job.  But in my opinion this doesn't mean that the

specification is mature.  We were probably all walking on

eggshells and crossing our fingers while this poor customer was

doing his/her job because we weren't sure whether we guessed it

right...

Regarding the model you need to ship, go ahead and do it with

the features described in the "Opal BIRDs".  But the reason I would

prefer if these types of models wouldn't be called IBIS compliant

(even if they pass the parser) is because their advanced capabilities

are not in the spec yet, and those features which rely on the

capabilities of the specification usually do not sufficiently

model everything that the user of the model would need to get

their job done right.  In other words, if the user can only get

their job done right if they are able to use of the non-compliant

features of the model, for all practical purposes such a model

is not compliant in reality.