[ibis-macro] Re: I hope you all got home safe and sound ...

  • From: Bradley Brim <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:00:52 -0800

Hello Walter,

I have a few concerns.

First and most fundamental is that we seem to be pursuing not so much the
definition of a package (or on-die, implicitly addressed in the following but
not explicitly included) model but we seem to be defining a methodology of
building-up full package models based on incomplete or approximate information.
I will generally refer to this as "swathing" but it can include much more, such
as how to implement unknown aggressors during the application of such models in
an EDA tool. We have learned from our previous IBIS package model approaches
that defining approximations and fixed topologies is of time-limited
applicability. For years now we've had the tools to generate full package
models, whether based on a swathed, single, uncoupled, ideal-power 2-port
circuit or from a full-package extraction including power. Yet, we still have
no way to include this in an IBIS standard manner. I don't want to endorse a
standard that specifies partial models but does not specify how the simulation
algorithms should apply them. The latter has not been discussed and I believe
until we do so that any proposal is incomplete.

Next, we are comparing a set of "BIRDs" whose careful and precise documentation
was led by Arpad versus your "proposal". I believe that anyone, whether Arpad
or you or a third party observer, could apply the BIRDs to develop examples. If
an example does not fit into the BIRDs then they need to be considered for
update. I perceive your proposal as continuing to develop with changes and
augmentations considered each week. You and you alone are able to generate
examples. It may be time to convert your proposal to a BIRD and upload so that
others may know the extent of your proposal and be able to independently create
examples.

Lastly, the examples we use for comparison should be documented with basic
design information and then each set of BIRDs applied to format that general
design data. Maybe a subtle point but it is the base design information that
must be applied as a reference, not one format or the other. The base design
information may also solicit ideas for additional considerations that should be
covered by the BIRDs. I applaud the information you specified in your message
about the corners and how often the behavior falls into each of the three bins.
I believe we need to explicitly choose whether or not to do something specific
with such data or we should not specify it in the format, even if it is useful
design information in certain cases and one or more EDA tools might consider it
in some manner.

Best regards,
-Brad