[ibis-macro] Re: Flow

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:28:42 -0700

Rich,

Thank you for your comments.  I think you are correct that
the current IBIS-AMI specification and the flow discussions
fail to address the situation you mentioned.  Although the
Tx or Rx models may contain optimization algorithms, there
are currently no provisions for letting them talk to each
other about that, i.e. having an optimization where the Tx
tap coefficient depends on information coming from the Rx
(or vice versa).

Currently the only link between the Tx and Rx is the main
communication (data) channel (which you call the downstream
link).

I don't think it would be too difficult to add an additional
channel to the flows we are discussing for this purpose.

I would like to ask you a basic question, though.  Is this
"upstream" channel just as fast as the "downstream" channel?
My guess is that these would usually be much slower than the
main "downstream" channel, and they wouldn't have to be
simulated for SI effects.  If this is true, we could just
extend the DLL interfaces of Tx and Rx so that they could
talk to each other directly.  Otherwise we would have to
do a little more work, basically duplicating the entire
SI analysis of both down and upstream channels which may
become a little more complicated, but not totally impossible...