[ibis-macro] FEC Support in AMI Models of SerDes

  • From: Andy Joy <andy.joy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:43:58 +0000

Walter,

I have an issue that IBIS AMI models will need to resolve with the next
generation of data rates at around 25-28Gb/s and perhaps you can help me to
find the correct forum for this to be discussed.

The issue is that for 25G Ethernet and 28G Fibre-Channel the FEC will become
mandatory. Now this is a PCS layer function that I is not in the current AMI
models but without it we do not know the correct BER of the link. There are
various non-accurate rules of thumb that the standards bodies are using, but it
is possible to model this and some vendors do so on their own platforms. We
would like to be able to simulate different vendors working together and keep
IBIS-AMI as the industry standard way of doing this, but it is not possible
with FEC at the moment.

Perhaps you could help start this discussion if it has not already been
resolved.

Thanks

Andy Joy

Q-Logic SI Fellow