[ibis-macro] Re: Eye mask definition for IBIS-AMI

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:27:37 +0000

Greg,

I am not sure we are discussing the same thing (correct me if I
am missing something in your thoughts).

The Eye Mask I am talking about basically describes the input
characteristics of the stage that follows the Rx AMI model.
It would specify what its Vinh/Vinl and Setup/Hold times are
with respect to the clock tick that is used to latch the data.
Our current specification already has Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity,
which defines the +/- voltage value around the nominal threshold
level (or Vref, if you want to call it that).  The way I
understand this is that:

Vref + Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity  =  Vinh
Vref - Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity  =  Vinl

for the input that "reads" the output of Rx AMI.

What we seem to be missing in the IBIS-AMI spec is a parameter
that does the same for the timing aspect for this input.  What
is the Setup and Hold for this input to actually get the correct
logic interpretation for the waveform that it sees?

My point is that if we have "Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity", we should
also have a corresponding timing parameter.  If we put all these
together, we basically arrived at an eye mask definition...

From: "Muranyi, Arpad"
<Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: 03/14/2012 12:25 PM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Hello Everyone,

I would like to solicit for some more comments on this
question.  So far I heard one general response that it
is a good idea, and a very specific response with a
syntax suggestion, but I would like to get a few more
mask definition to the IBIS-AMI specification.  The reason
I am asking for more comments along these lines is because
last time I brought this topic up the majority of the
etc...

However, the more I think of this, the more it seems that
this would actually be useful, especially since we already
have vertical half of the eye mask definition present in the
Rx_Receiver_Sensitivity parameter.  Is there a reason we
shouldn't include the horizontal (timing) aspects of the
eye opening requirement in addition to what we already
have for the vertical (voltage) requirement?