[ibis-macro] Re: Extending EBD to handle connectors and cables.

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'IBIS-ATM' <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:38:28 +0000

Walter,

Have you considered the ICM specification for that purpose?
After, the first paragraph of that specification says:

"This document contains a specification for general purpose
interconnect modeling in an IBIS (I/O Buffer Information
Specification) compatible format.  It was written to provide
means for modeling all electrical interconnect types, including
connectors, cables, packages, and printed circuit boards."

DATE SUBMITTED:  June 23, 1996, Feb. 13, 1997, March 7, 1997, March 31, 1997
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:  April 8, 1997

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:  There is a need to describe SIMM modules and related
type components that consist of one or more ICs mounted on a PCB board that
connects them to a system thru a set of pins.  The following BIRD proposes a
new type of file called .ebd (Electrical Board Description) that
addresses this need.  This proposal does not encompass an electrical
description of connectors and other interconnect devices.

However, it is very simple to extend EBD files to accommodate connectors and
cables.

Consider the following example of a 6 pin connector with sides A and B:

[Pin List]               signal_name
| A side pins
A.1                         1
A.2                         POWER
A.3                         GND
A.4                         2
A.5                         POWER
A.6                         GND
| B side pins
B.1                          1
B.2                          POWER
B.3                          GND
B.4                          2
B.5                          POWER
B.6                          GND

Or the following cable with ends A, B, C

[Pin List]               signal_name
| A side pins
A.1                         1
A.2                         POWER
A.3                         GND
A.4                         2
A.5                         POWER
A.6                         GND
| B side pins
B.1                          1
B.2                          POWER
B.3                          GND
C.1                          2
C.2                          POWER
C.3                          GND

To make this clear, all we would need to do is change the documentation to
allow EBD files to describe connector and add the following additional keywords:

EBD_Type Package|Connector|Cable

And [Connector Sides] and [Cable Ends]

e.g.

[Connector Sides]
[End Connector Sides]

[Cable Ends]
[End Cable Ends]

And words to describe pins in [Pin List] to be of the form
< Connector Side>.<pin>
Or
< Cable End>.<pin>

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>