[ibis-macro] Re: Error reporting in IBIS-AMI

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:38:31 -0500

For the record, I'm a big fan of error messages that are longer than 50
characters.  One or two English sentences would be nice.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   03/27/2012 04:24 PM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Re: Error reporting in IBIS-AMI
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Michael-

We were originally thinking that the msg pointer would be used for a
purpose such as this. Of course, we didn't specify what the content of msg
might be, so there's no specific capability in place right now.
Nonetheless, if we wanted to have standard error messages, that would be
the place to put them.

Mike Steinberger

On 03/27/2012 03:10 PM, Mirmak, Michael wrote:
      A colleague asked the following question, which he asked to be sent
      to this list for discussion.  Apologies if this has already been
      discussed.

      If an IBIS-AMI model returns an (assigned) error (e.g. -4), what does
      it mean to the EDA tool?

      Having standardized error handling categories described in the
      specification, to defines the return states, would be useful. This
      would also give the tool user some way of debugging easy errors
      without requiring contacting the original model authors.

      e.g., the specification might suggest the following assignments which
      would be implemented in the EDA tool:
      …
      #define CANNOT_LOAD_LIBRARY -1
      #define CANNOT_FIND_FUNCTION -2
      #define CANNOT_LOAD_AMI_FILE -3
      #define CANNOT_PARSE_AMI_FILE -4
      #define ..
      …
      #define UNKNOWN -99

      The EDA tool could then either perform some intelligent checks (for
      example, wider searches for the file) or the user could double-check
      that the files are in the right location, the right OS/architecture
      is being used for simulation, etc.

            -          MM

GIF image