[ibis-macro] Comments on BIRD 150

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:58:45 +0000

I took some time to read BIRD 150 http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/birds/bird150.txt
and I have a few comments on it.

1)  In the "STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:" section, there is a sentence
in which ".ami control file" is mentioned.  My understanding is that
the .ami file is a parameter file.  Calling it "control file" gives
it a totally different meaning.  Are we really proposing such a shift
in what .ami files are?

2)  In the next paragraph I see "Dependency Tables are Model_Specific
parameters".  Is a Table really a parameter?  I would think that the
table may ***contain*** parameter values, but the table itself is not
a parameter.  We might need to correct that.

3)  I wonder whether we should address the string substitution syntax
in a separate BIRD.

4)  It seems that Labels are used in Dependency Table as control parameters:

(Labels "Tx_Strength In" "Rs Out_Match" "Voh Out_Match")

Unfortunately I can't find any good definition for the purpose and usage on
Labels in the draft of v 5.1 specification, but my impression from what is
there is that it is only supposed to contain "information" whatever that means.
I think we need to define Labels better in the v5.1 spec, but for BIRD 150,
I think we shouldn't use Labels as control parameters.

5)  " - Parameter name ends in Dependency_Table"  this is not clear to me.
Shouldn't this say " - Dependency Table name ends in Dependency_Table"?

6)  It is confusing to me that the input parameters for the Dependency
Table can have any "Usage" types.  What if there is a parameter that is
used for nothing else but to control the DT?  Is it Usage In, or Usage Info?
Usage In parameters are passed into the DLL, Usage Info parameters are
passed into the EDA tool.  How could we indicate that a certain parameter
is used as an input to DT?  I would prefer to have a new Usage for that.
But then what do we do if that parameter that controls the DT is also used
in the DLL or the EDA tool?  That would mean multiple Usage, but we can't
have more than one Usage definition for any given parameter...

7)  This sentence needs to be fixed:

" The data rows that follow must contains lists must have the same number of
items as the
Labels row."

8)  The predefined parameter "[Model]" needs to be described in more
detail.  Are [Model Selector] names allowed?  Or are we supposed to
refer to names of [Model]s only, etc...

9)  Regarding hierarchical parameter names, we should use a consistent
syntax here with the one we are discussing for BIRD 117-118.  If we
use parentheses there, we should use parentheses here too...

That's all for now.