[ibis-macro] Re: Comment on Labels BIRD

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 23:07:53 -0700

Arpad:

We need to address the Labels rules for both List and Table at
the same time.

The rules look almost identical and yet there appear to be
some significant differences.

One of the leaves of the of branch containing this List can be named
"Labels" and, if provided, is to be assigned a string value
containing a list of List entry names.

Table:

The parameter name "Table" names a branch of the parameter tree
rather than a single leaf.
One of the leaves of the of the parameter containing this branch
can be named "Labels" and, if provided, is to be assigned a string value
containing a list of column names.

-----------------

Several problems:

  "Format Table" is a special name for a branch as shown in the
  examples on pages 141, 146, 147?

  Labels is always a special case leaf of a branch with a special
  syntax (plus some possible number of argument rules):

  "Format List" is permitted for Model_Specific parameters.
  Since List is not listed as valid for any Reserved Parameter,
  Labels for List would never appear in the Reserved_Parameters
  block.

  The Model_Specific format needs to be extended to allow a Labels
  with just the string entries only when List is used.  A leaf
  syntax is not given in for Model_Specific cases.

    (parameter_name (Usage <usage>) (Type <data_type>)
    (Format <data format>) (Default <values>)
    (Description <string>))

     add?

    (parameter_name (Usage <usage>) (Type <data_type>)
    (Description <string>))

  We have not even mentioned tree or branch or leaf yet, and this
  is critical to the rules (to be fixed by re-organization).

  For consistency, Labels could follow the same rules for Table
  and be a leaf of List.  For example.

   (Process (Usage In) (Type Integer) (Usage In)
   (Format List (Labels "a" "b" "c") 1 2 3)
   (Description "your description"))

  or

   (Process (Usage In) (Type Integer) (Usage In)
   (Format List 1 2 3 (Labels "a" "b" "c"))  | any order??
   (Description "your description"))

  or be in any other position within the list.

  For Table, the corresponding example is:

   (Multi-process (Usage In) (Type Integer) (Usage In)
   (Format Table
   (Labels  "a" "b" "c") | It is not stated that Labels
                         | must be first
                         | Also the <string> arguments do not
                         | have quotes in Section 6c.
   (1 2 3) (2 3 4) (3 4 5))
   (Description "your description"))

---------------------

The whole point is that we are introducing an inconsistency.
We need to document all of this fully and clearly. This means
dealing with Table at the same time.

Bob

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:
Walter,

I have one request for the Labels BIRD.  Please
use the example you show in the Statement of the
Issue section as an example that is added to the
specification itself.  I searched the current spec
for any examples with List and I couldn't find a
single one.  It would be nice to illustrate this
concept in the spec with an example...

Also, please add the title:

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

to the section that begins with

"Replace this text:"

Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs
121 North River Drive              13610 SW Harness Lane
Narragansett, RI 02882             Beaverton, OR 97008
401-284-1827                       503-430-1065
http://www.teraspeed.com           503-246-8048 Direct
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC