[ibis-macro] Re: (Backus-Naur Form (BNF) of .ami file vs BNF of string in Parameters_In and Parameters_Out

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:30:35 -0800

Todd:

Yes. Here are a few public links and prior applications for reference:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-ebnf.html

  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2234.txt

  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pjj/bnf/bnf.html

  http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pjj/bnf/ebnf.html

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-14977.pdf

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-14977-paper.pdf

Bob

Todd Westerhoff wrote:
Bob,

Really good question. I know there are a number of different definitions of 'BNF', but was expecting that we could pick one as a reference, preferably one that has good software tools to go with it. I'm hoping to avoid defining our own interpretation of BNF, as the task of 'defining a language' is how we got here in the first place ...

... and that's the point where my computer science fails me. It does like we need a syntax that includes both OR and XOR, as I expect that we'll need to describe both.

Walter & I can do some research on BNF alternatives & tools, but not until some time next week.

Do you agree we should try to find a BNF reference can all work from?

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

On 2/24/2010 11:54 AM, Bob Ross wrote:

Todd and Walter:

Thanks, these formal descriptions are helpful starts and also provide
a cross-check and basis for detailed questions.

I am not aware of any BNF standard since I have seen many different
styles.

I assume that "|" is exclusive OR since 'True False' is a violation.

GetWave_Exists         (Value True|False)|(Default True|False)

Is Default AND Value a violation?

Bob

Todd Westerhoff wrote:

Walter,

I think you're on to something here.

The main issue I keep hearing is that we have trouble spec'ing the .AMI file syntax for parser development, whether it be the IBIS parser or EDA vendor tools. Having a formal definition of the .AMI syntax in BNF is a great idea and, as far as I'm concerned, directly addresses many of the problems we've had.

I took a shot at cleaning up the syntax you'd defined - fixed a few of the typos and added whitespace for readability. I know the computers don't care, but I think whitespace can make it easier for us humans to review and discuss.

I think the reserved parameter stuff is reasonably clean, but I suspect the model-specific parameter definitions still need work I'm familiar with BNF in concept but am most certainly not an expert. If others agree this is the way to go, let's enlist the help of someone with more BNF experience and get this sorted out.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

On 2/24/2010 8:35 AM, Walter Katz wrote:

All,

The parameter tree was initially used for the content of the strings in Parameters_In and Parameters_Out. The modified BNF in the IBIS 5.0 AMI specification is an accurate representation and therefore an accurate method to parse the strings in Parameters_In and Parameters_Out.

The .ami file is also in a parameter tree format, but has additional rules. I do not know how to capture these additional rules in a formal BNF that can be used to programmatically parse a .ami file. I did put the following document together than may very well be misnames a BNF, but I do think graphically documents the parser rules for the update .ami syntax.

This follows up on the ideas that Bob suggested in his e-mail to the group on AMI Quick Reference.

I think it is useful as is, any suggestions on how to make it more readable, or BNF like would be much appreciated.

303.449-2308

Mobile 720.333-1107

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

www.sisoft.com

Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs
121 North River Drive              13610 SW Harness Lane
Narragansett, RI 02882             Beaverton, OR 97008
401-284-1827                       503-430-1065
http://www.teraspeed.com           503-246-8048 Direct
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC