[ibis-macro] Re: Backchannel/Training/Co-optimization Discussion

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bradley Brim" <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 18:36:01 -0400 (EDT)

Brad,

Your presentation at the Summit and your e-mail response clearly states
that Cadence does not want to have a regular way of standardizing the BCI
file.

I would like to remind everyone of the intent of IBIS-AMI. In a
presentation submitted to IBIS ATM on April 10, 2007 (enclosed), Cadence,
SiSoft and Mentor  clearly stated the IBIS-AMI Goals:

.Establish a modeling standard for SerDes devices that describes

-Analog I/O & electrical package characteristics

-Transmit / receive equalization

-Clock recovery behavior

.The standard must:

-Support prediction of link Bit Error Rate (BER)

-Enable EDA & SerDes model interoperability

-Protect Semiconductor vendor IP

-Support design optimization

What you have proposed clearly violates "EDA & SerDes model
interoperability" and therefore should not and cannot be considered for
approval by IBIS.

Walter