[ibis-macro] Backchannel/Training/Co-optimization Discussion

  • From: Walter Katz <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:31:25 -0400 (EDT)

All,

The discussion in the IBIS Summit on the two
backchannel/training/co-optimization proposal was enlightening - to say
the least.

BIRD 147 introduces the concept of BCI files without a plan for
standardizing BCI files. In fact it was made clear during the Open Summit
that IBIS should not be in the business of standardizing BCI files, and
the intent of BIRD 147 is to have device vendors create models that only
communicate between that vendors Rx and Tx is using their proprietary
protocol. Although we should not prohibit a vendor from creating Rx and Tx
models that communicate with each other is a proprietary way, it must be a
requirement that IBIS provides a mechanism that Rx and Tx models from
different vendors communicate in a standard way , especially when training
is done compliant to such standards as 802.3 and PCIe. One of the basic
premises of IBIS AMI was to support interoperability of models from
different vendors. Seems to me that creating a standard way for device
vendors to only create models that train using proprietary Rx to Tx
communication is not part of the IBIS charter, and therefore BIRD 147
should either be modified or set aside.

 <mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

Phone 303.449-2308