[ibis-macro] Re: Backchannel BIRD discussions

  • From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ambrishv@xxxxxxxxxxx, "twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:55:12 -0400

The IBIS parser would be updated to recognize .bci files only after an
IBIS specification covering the BCI format is approved. How would tested
.bci files be included in the same specification? Yes, BCI files are
similar to AMI files so maybe ibischk6 -ami could be used, but there are
syntax rule differences. And getting the syntax right is only part of it.

Overall I'm concerned that we would publish BCI contents in an IBIS
release only to soon find that changes are needed. Our experience with
IBIS 5.0 teaches us that getting things wrong in a formal specification
can be painful. I would recommend focusing on a verified publishing
procedure independent of the IBIS specification.

Mike