[ibis-macro] Re: Backchannel BIRD discussions

  • From: Ambrish Varma <ambrishv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>, "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:50:26 -0700

Todd,

I think I know where the confusion is coming from.

The example files in my BCI presentation are actual 10GBase-KR, PCIe3 and SAS3
BCI files that we are proposing to use for the Backchannel communication.

The means by which to identify the Training pattern and the protocol specific
section in the BCI file is to 'mine' the protocols and fill in the desired
section. For SAS3, I have a couple of tables on slide 8 that contain relevant
information:

[cid:image003.jpg@01CF738A.D1305340]

Every protocol is different - so there is no fixed method for doing this.

I want to point out that this is another advantage of the BCI file. The
protocols can be interpreted differently by different device model makers -
creating a source of confusion. With the BCI file, the model maker will get a
clear idea of what their model needs to support for a particular protocol.

There will be no need to read the protocol and map the various features that
may or may not be important to Backchannel.

Thanks,

Ambrish.