[ibis-macro] Re: BIRD116: ISS for External Model (S-params with AMI in conjunction with i-v, v-t tables)

  • From: Taranjit Kukal <kukal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, IBIS-ATM <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:50:04 +0530

Hi Arpad, Walter,
Thanks for detailed explanations.

Some clarifications:

1. RDL - Re-distribution layer on silicon used to bring IO-out to bump of the
flipchip package/
2. S-parameters in AMI - Yes, I am referring to OPAL doc

I understand that [external model] is a replacement, and there is where I am
putting my suggestion to not LIMIT it to replacement of i-v/v-t.

We should rather allow [External Model] to work in conjunction with i-v, v-t
data. A keyword ('type' or something) could always be used to specify if the
model needs to
    a) Replace the i-v/v-t model: All Spice IO models would fall into this
category
    b) Augment the i-v/v-t model: All parasitic models (onchip RDL for example)
would fall into this category
        There could even be cases where IO model is i-v/v-t and [External
Model] is Behavioral Spice for DSP portion.

Cadence tools can do b) as by using macro-modeling; but why not scale-up the
use of [External Model] especially when we would have a common practise of
using onchip s-params in conjunction with i-v/v-t

rgds
..kukal