[ibis-macro] Re: BIRD 158.3 - 2

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 04:10:54 +0000

Radek,

While you are correct that the text book definition of
"the step response of a circuit is the output signal ... when a unit step
signal ... is applied to the input",
but I was not commenting on that.  I wanted to point out
a contradiction in the draft I was commenting on in one
of the sentences:  "This BIRD defines what that unit excitation is...".
Knowing that the BIRD defined Tx_V (now Tx_Voh and Tx_Vol),
the excitation voltage source may have any magnitude, which
is in direct contradiction with the word "unit" which was
used in the first part of this sentence.

Now, regarding IBIS-AMI, according to pg. 122 in the v5.1
specification, "The "analog" portion of the channel is characterized by means
of an impulse response leveraging the IBIS constructs for device models defined
in Sections 6, 6A and 6B.".

Also, on pg. 161 we read:  "Step 1. The EDA tool obtains the impulse response
for the analog channel. This represents the combined impulse response of the
transmitter's analog output, the channel and the receiver's analog front end.
The transmitter's output or receiver's input characteristics must not include
any filtering effects, for example equalization, in this impulse response,
although it may include any parasitics which are included in the Tx or Rx
analog model."

Since [Model]-s are not restricted to have a unit step
and the only restriction is that when generating the
impulse response for the channel the Tx buffer should
not have its EQ turned on, the impulse response of a
channel characterization simulation will also include
the information on what the unequalized signal swing
of the Tx buffer is.

The executable AMI models will apply their EQ algorithms
to this non-unit excitation based impulse response, and
the results will come out with the correct amplitude based
on that.  This is why Walter proposes the Tx_V... parameters
in this BIRD, because the S-parameter model does not add
gain to a unit excitation input to represent the Tx
buffer's unequalized signal swing.

So as far as I can tell, the stimulus to the Touchstone
data (Tx model) is not a unit step.  We might be using the
wrong terminology in the spec when we are talking about
step responses and impulse responses.  That could be
discussed in the editorial committee.