[ibis-macro] Re: BIRD 121.1 discussion

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Taranjit Kukal'" <kukal@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:37:00 -0400 (EDT)

Taranjit and Ken,

Here's what I hear you guys saying in response to the 4 requirements I
posited:

1.  Ensure that whenever an AMI model is moved or copied, all the pieces
of the model are kept together

TK/KW > The model documentation should list all the files that go with the
model and how their locations are determined.  If the model is moved or
copied, the user is responsible for ensuring all the pieces of the model
are kept together.

2.  Assuming the simulation run ($CWD) and IBIS library directories are
different, allow the DLL to find its support files

TK / KW > If the model needs to be passed a directory path or file name to
function, the model maker should create a Model_Specific parameter in the
AMI file with the needed information.  Whenever the user installs, moves
or copies the model, they are responsible for editing the model's .AMI
file and updating the file/directory information.

3.  Ensure external files produced by multiple copies of a DLL do not
interfere with each other

TK / KW > If a model needs to create external files, it should take care
to ensure that the filename being created is unique, and therefore will
not interfere with other files (TW > Please note: creating files with a
fixed name CANNOT be allowed, as it will affect model portability).  No
guidance is provided for figuring out which output file is associated with
which simulation run (in the case of a batch run).

4.  Automate the process front to back so users can just import a model
into their simulator & go

   TK / KW > The user should edit model source files (.AMI) to update
certain Model-Specific information as part of the model installation
process.  The model's documentation should tell the user which parameters
to edit and what their values need to be.

Have I described your positions correctly?

Thanks,

Todd.

VP, Software Products
SiSoft