[ibis-macro] Another AMI analog modeling question

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:58:50 -0800

Hello experts,

In light of the DC source debate in ISS and the analog modeling

discussion of BIRDs (122, 116), I have a question regarding the

waveform going into the Rx GetWave function.

Is this waveform allowed to have a DC component?  If so, are

Rx GetWave algorithms expected to handle DC shifted waveforms

in a meaningful way, i.e. have more eye closure, jitter, etc...

depending on where the waveform crosses the threshold?

I understand that the input to Tx GetWave is centered around

zero volts and is +/- 0.5 volts.  But given the talk on being

able to put the analog models between the GetWave functions,

and the debate around the voltage sources in the Tx analog

model (including some level shifting sources in the schematics

in BURD 122 and the Opal documentation), it looks like that

the waveform at the Rx GetWave might actually end up having

a DC component other than 0.

This is not mentioned/discussed in the spec as far as I can

tell...  If we expect the Rx GetWave algorithms to take this

into consideration, we might want to mention it in the spec.

And this should also be another reason to look at the sources

in our analog models carefully (and consider the addition of

the DC source into ISS if we want to use ISS for AMI analog

modeling).