[ibis-macro] Re: Analog Buffer Modeling - A Summary

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'IBIS-ATM'" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:05:59 -0500 (EST)

All,

I have not received any comments that disagree with the following
statements, other than objections to having the ability to have four
canned models in addition to allowing general purpose ISS Buffer subckts.
I have no objection in principle to adding the canned Tstonefile proposal
in BIRD 144 (we can debate some of the details). Why object to the 4
canned ISS subckts that I have proposed. In summary:

1.       They satisfy the needs of all SerDes standards that have been
approved, and all SerDes standards in development.

2.       They accurately represent the LTI behavior of legacy IBIS models
(IV and VT tables).

3.       They represent circuits that EDA tools can easily and efficiently
implement.

4.       They make it easy for SerDes IC Vendors to accurately describe
the analog behavior of their models.

5.       There is nothing that prevents SerDes IC Vendors from creating
custom ISS Buffer AMI subckts.

6.       There is nothing that prevents IC Vendors from creating custom
ISS Buffer subckts for traditional single ended and differential buffers.

These are compelling arguments that IC Vendors and Users of IBIS AMI
models will support.

The argument that there will be a desire to add a plethora of new canned
models is specious.

No one has given an argument of what bad things can happen with the
inclusion of these canned models in the standard.

I hold these truths to be self-evident, please be prepared to voice your
objections at next week's IBIS-ATM meeting and the DesignCon IBIS Summit.

Walter