[ibis-macro] Re: Analog Buffer Model Inside DLL

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:33:30 -0600

Todd,

I was thinking about writing a patent for an anti-gravity device, but now
you talked me out of it!

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:     <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   12/12/2012 01:12 PM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Re: Analog Buffer Model Inside DLL
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greg,

Ask yourself how the person writing an algorithmic model should accurately
model the reflections associated with an unspecified channel.  If there’s a
way to do that, I’d like to hear about it.

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
Signal Integrity Software Inc. • www.sisoft.com
6 Clock Tower Place • Suite 250 • Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24  •  twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx

“I want to live like that”
                                             -Sidewalk Prophets

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/12/2012 12:31 PM

Greg,

That is not possible. The analog model, by definition, interacts with the
channel and must be included in the impulse response. The equalization,
also by definition, is considered to be electrically isolated from the
channel and is thus represented in the DLL.

Putting the analog model in the DLL violates a fundamental assumption of
IBIS-AMI. You may get good-looking results, but they will be invalid.

Todd.

VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

“I want to live like that"
                                             -Sidewalk Prophets

On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      What nasty things are likely to happen if someone puts the analog
      buffer model inside the DLL?  At the very least, the impulse response
      will be incorrect.

      Are there any circumstances under which this can work correctly?

      Greg Edlund
      Senior Engineer
      Signal Integrity and System Timing
      IBM Systems & Technology Group