[ibis-macro] Re: Analog Buffer Model Inside DLL

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:54:55 -0500 (EST)

Greg,

Who is the vendor that “claims that information is stored in the DLL”? The
vendor clearly does not understand the concepts behind IBIS AMI modeling,
and should justify that his IBIS files do not contain IV curves or C_comp.
Of course it is clear that IBIS 5.1 does not support buffer analog models
that are required (especially at speeds >6Gbps), but such AMI models are
currently being delivered with the required analog modeling information in
the .ami file, not the .dll. IBIS 6.0 will address this, although the
details are being currently litigated in both the IBIS-ATM meetings and the
IBIS-Interconnect meetings.

The discussion threads generated from your original e-mail on this topic
indicated that having the DLL contain the analog model of the Rx and Tx is
problematic, a further indication that the IC vendor you refer to “just does
not get it”. Unless this IC Vendor can come forward and defend his
methodology of putting the analog information in the DLL, I will strongly
urge that IBIS-ATM permanently table any further discussion on this topic.

Walter

From: Mike LaBonte <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/12/2012 04:48 PM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

I understood Greg's proposal as simply implementing "forward" simulation of
analog effects within a DLL, such that it only affects the output of each
stage, no chance to create or respond to backward signals. It's easy to see
that this is going to be a problem. Vladimir's proposal amounts to embedding
s-parameter models within DLLs, to be selected and either passed to the EDA
tool or combined with the channel response right within the DLL. These are
completely different proposals.

The latter idea could be seen as a combination of Fangyi's proposal that the
DLL be able to make choices based on inputs then communicate them back out,
and the idea that the analog model should be s-parameters, resulting in the
ability to simply embed the s-parameter data sets in the DLL, which
communicates the correct set back out based on settings. One observation is
that we now seem to have more proposals putting the analog model in the AMI
model than proposals keeping it in the legacy IBIS domain.

Mike

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Todd,

The original question from Greg was:

“What nasty things are likely to happen if someone puts the analog buffer
model inside the DLL?

At the very least, the impulse response will be incorrect.  Are there any
circumstances under

which this can work correctly?

This spawned a bunch of replies ranging from “why not”

to “impossible”, mostly on theoretical bases.  You

may be right that this may not be practical at the

moment, but that’s not what the question was about.

Whether it is worth solving or not could be discussed

in a separate thread.  Who knows, we might find out

that it is worth considering it…

From: Todd Westerhoff < <mailto:twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx> twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: " <mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <
<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/12/2012 12:31 PM

  _____

Greg,

That is not possible. The analog model, by definition, interacts with the
channel and must be included in the impulse response. The equalization, also
by definition, is considered to be electrically isolated from the channel
and is thus represented in the DLL.

Putting the analog model in the DLL violates a fundamental assumption of
IBIS-AMI. You may get good-looking results, but they will be invalid.

On Dec 12, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What nasty things are likely to happen if someone puts the analog buffer
model inside the DLL?  At the very least, the impulse response will be
incorrect.

Are there any circumstances under which this can work correctly?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group