[ibis-macro] Re: An AMI Overview

  • From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kumarchi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:45:49 -0400

Kumar,

While two models might make the EDA vendor's job easier (and might make specifying a reference flow easier), it will most decidedly NOT make the end-user's job easier.  Shifting the burden to the end-user to make our job easier isn't a good tradeoff.

We have to write specs and EDA code once - users will have to use these tools every day.  It's worth the extra work at the standards level to discuss and document how Init() and Getwave() support both statistical and time-domain simulations.  From where I sit, this is largely a documentation task - the current flow and models already support both Statistical and Time-Domain analysis, as does Walter's new flow.

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx
www.sisoft.com

C. Kumar wrote:
i am just saying that in that case there should be two separate models; one which implements getwave and another which just uses the init

this will make the flow also that much clearer and easier

From: Danil Kirsanov <dkirsanov@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 6:59 PM

Dear colleagues,

I would like to clarify one basic principle of AMI modeling, hoping that all of us agree with it.

I believe that the model writer should never do a double-counting: if he modified the channel impulse response in Init() to model some effect, he should not model this effect in Getwave(). So he cannot put the “true” model in GetWave() and it’s linear approximation in Init(). If both types of behavior are expected, there should be two models (or some internal flag that changes the behavior of the model).

If this assumption is true, statistical (linear) simulator always works with Init() function of the model, while pattern-dependent (non-linear) simulator works with both Init() and GetWave() and I do not see any necessity for Get_Wave_Exists flag.

Best,

Danil