[ibis-macro] After reviewing the IBIS AMI BIRDs we have identified a problem with BIRD 127 ...

  • From: "Walter Katz" <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:54:06 -0500 (EST)

All,

After reviewing the IBIS AMI BIRDs we have identified a problem with the
following in BIRD 127 ...

|*              The AMI executable model must return a string to the EDA
tool

|**             through the AMI_parameters_out argument.  This string must

|**             contain all of the leaf/value pair formatted Usage InOut
and

|**             Usage Out AMI parameters if there are any defined in the

|**             .ami file.  No other information may be included in this

|**             string.  The string must always include the root name of

|**             the parameter tree, even if there are no parameters to
return

|**             to the EDA tool.

In the AMI DLLs that SiSoft has written we return the values of In
parameters in the AMI_parameters_out argument. We put these values in a
spreadsheet that is available to the user. The key point is that if a User
questions the results they're getting, and they want to make sure the
model configured itself as expected, they will want the model to echo back
to them the configuration it actually assumed. I plan on submitting a BIRD
to change the above to remove "no other information may be included in
this string."

Some supporting comments:

1.  One of the reasons for the LISP style parenthetical data format is
that any part of the data can easily be ignored. Parsers are expected to
look for what they need in it, nor figure out what to do with every item
as with some formats. If extra content is not a problem there is no need
to restrict content.

2.  No one has complained about the models that we have created that
return (Usage In) parameters in the AMI_parameters_out argument. Since EDA
tools must already deal with this I see no reason that this change should
cause a problem.

Please plan that we will be submitting a BIRD to address this change.

 <mailto:wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx> wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

Phone 303.449-2308