[ibis-macro] Re: Adaptive Equalization in Statistical Simulations

  • From: <fangyi_rao@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:01:43 +0000

Hi, Greg;

Please try

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5991-0894EN.pdf

and

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/84579430/DesignCon-2010-Rigorous-Modeling-of-Transmit-Jitter-for-Accurate

for the statistical simulation.

Fangyi

From: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Gregory R Edlund
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:53 PM
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ibis-macro] Re: Adaptive Equalization in Statistical Simulations

Mike, Todd, Arpad, Fangyi,

Thank you for the responses.  It seems you are making the same points:

1. Statistical simulation using AMI models DOES support adaptive equalization
ONCE at the beginning of the simulation to optimize the RX to the channel.

2. If you want the RX to adapt to the bit pattern, you need to perform a
time-domain simulation using the GetWave function.

(I like to repeat what I heard to make sure I got it right.)

The only paper I have on statistical simulation is the one Sanders, Resso, and
D'Ambrosia wrote back in 2004.  Does anyone know of a more recent paper that
might highlight advances made since then?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

[Inactive hide details for Mike Steinberger ---03/25/2014 02:15:58 PM---Greg-
Many, if not most AMI receiver models perform adap]Mike Steinberger
---03/25/2014 02:15:58 PM---Greg- Many, if not most AMI receiver models perform
adaptive equalization in

From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>>
To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 03/25/2014 02:15 PM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

________________________________

Greg-

Many, if not most AMI receiver models perform adaptive equalization in
statistical analysis, in the sense that they're able to identify and adopt the
optimum configuration before calculating the output impulse response(s). I've
written a number of such models myself.

The implementation of adaptive equalization in statistical analysis is often
very different from the implementation in time domain simulation or in the
actual device, however. The model developer must therefore have a deep
understanding of the algorithm in the actual device, and must be able to apply
some creativity. Fortunately, there are numerous model developers out there
with sufficient skills for the job.

Mike Steinberger

On 03/25/2014 01:09 PM, Gregory R Edlund wrote:

It is my understanding that adaptive equalization is not possible in AMI
statistical simulations.  To model adaptive equalization, I need to first run a
short transient simulation, load the RX tap settings from that simulation into
the model-specific parameters, and then run a statistical simulation.

Question:  what is it about modifying the impulse response that prevents RX
adaptive equalization in statistical simulations?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing