[ibis-macro] Absence of clock times

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:19:49 -0700

Hello SERDES experts,

I have been wrestling with this question for some time,

but now that it was mentioned in the thread below, I

would like to ask the question openly.

"There are Rx models with no GetWave, and a number of Rx GetWave models
that do not return clock times."

BIRD 112 only says what should be done when we have

clock times:

|* Each valid value in the clock_times vector shall be used to sample
the

|* output waveform by adding to it bit_time/2

but it doesn't say what should be done when there are no

clock times.  Considering that building an eye and a BER

plot hinges on the sampling point and the results can be

completely different (or invalid) depending on where that

sampling point is, I wonder whether we should make some

provisions in the specification for the case when clock

times are not returned by the Rx model.  With the current

information in the spec tools can only guess which is not

always the best approach...

In addition, there are other clocking schemes out there,

such as Forwarded Clock (QPI, etc...) and Common Clock (PCIe,

etc...) and these technologies may also benefit from using

algorithmic models.  I wonder if we need to revisit this

aspect of our specification to fix the missing clock ticks

problem, and include externally generated clock ticks?