[ibis-macro] Re: About the Typos BIRD comments from Fangyi

  • From: Mike LaBonte <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:59:01 -0500

Hmmm, re-reading these emails I think this is about what terminology to use
for two different things:

1) Terminology for the structure of generic LISP-like parenthetical trees.
Often a branch is a sublist, and the first keyword inside the left paren is
considered the name of the branch. Any other items after the branch name are
leaves (aka branch values) unless they are inside their own parentheses. In
this regard Description would be a branch name and the string following it
would be a leaf/value.

2) Special terminology to describe a 2-level bundle of branches and leafs as
³AMI parameters², where there is some datum surrounded by prescribed
meta-data to help interpret it.

Therefore I think Arpad¹s latest wording is headed in the right direction to
define #2 using the terminology of #1:

|*              A branch in the .ami file is an "AMI Parameter" if it
|*              contains the leaves Type, Usage, and any of the following
|*              leaves:
|*
|*                   <data_format> or Format <data_format>
|*
|*              and does not contain another branch.  A branch which
|*              contains one or more sub-branches may only contain the
|*              Description <string> leaf/value pair in addition to the
|*              sub-branches.

But I would suggest changing it to:

|*              A branch in the .ami file is an "AMI Parameter" if it
|*              contains the sub-branches Type, Usage, and any of the
|*              following optional sub-branches:
|*
|*                   <data_format> or Format <data_format>
|*                   Description
|*
|*              A branch with sub-branches arranged as an AMI Parameter may
|*              not contain other sub-branches.

Mike