[ibis-macro] About the Typos BIRD comments from Fangyi

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:47:37 -0800

Walter,

(I changed the subject line so we know what this thread is all about).

Thanks for your comment, I agree partially, but not completely.

You say "...if it has one of the following leaves...", which doesn't

make sense to me.  We can't have Usage or Type alone.  What did

you refer to by "one of"?  The bottom part of the list under

"Allowed-Value Method" or the whole list?  Even with considering

the bottom part of the list, this interpretation is flawed because

under certain circumstances Default and Value are mutually exclusive.

On the other hand, I like the sentence "A branch that is an AMI

parameter may not contain a branch."  I think we should use that

in the BIRD.

How about if the Typos BIRD would say the following:

|*              A branch in the .ami file is an "AMI Parameter" if it

|*              contains the leaves Type, Usage, and any of the
following

|*              leaves:

|*

|*                   <data_format> or Format <data_format>

|*

|*              and does not contain another branch.

Note that I left out the word "only" Fangyi suggested, but added

the words in red at the end.

To address comment #3 from Fangyi, I added a few words to the end of the

paragraph on the top of pg. 5 of the BIRD draft shown in red:

|*              The tree data structure passed in and out of the DLL

|*              described in section 3.1.2.6 of Section 10 of this
document

|*              is similar to the tree data structure in the .ami file
except

|*              the 'Reserved_Parameters' and 'Model_Specific' branches
are

|*              not included, the "AMI Parameter" branches become leaves
and

|*              the "AMI parameters" of Usage Info and Out are not
included.

This actually raises a few more questions in my mind, especially

with the other email thread I started not too long ago about the

AMI_parameters_out argument in mind.

I can't find anything in the specification that describes how the

DLL returns an Out or InOut parameters and how the EDA tool is supposed

to look for them.  Here are the possibilities that come to my mind.

Let's start with an InOut example first to make my question easier to

understand.

The AMI_parameters_in argument is a pointer to a string, and the

content of the string contains the InOut parameter name with a value.

The DLL reads this value, and after some number crunching decides to

return a different value.  Where should this output value go?

1)  The DLL could overwrite the string that it was given by the

EDA tool in the same memory location.  Recall, the argument

is a pointer to the string, and it could be processed "in

place", just as we do with the impulse matrix.

2)  On the other hand, we have another argument for AMI_parameters_out.

Is this where the DLL is supposed to put the output value it

generated?  If so, I would imagine that the DLL has to make a

copy of the AMI_parameter (leaf value) string with the new value

in the value location and put it in the memory location of

AMI_parameters_out.

3)  However, let's consider an example when the Init function contains

an optimizer which takes initial values for the tap coefficients

and after some number crunching returns better coefficients.

I would think that in this case the tap coefficients will be

declared as InOut arguments, and the initial values given to the

Init function will be overwritten by the Init function when the

optimizer is done.  Now, how is this result propagated to the

GetWave function?  Notice that the GetWave function doesn't have an

AMI_parameters_in argument.  This makes me think that the

AMI_parameters_in argument of the Init function is also visible to

the GetWave function, and the modified tap coefficients from the

Init function are passed to GetWave through the AMI_parameters_in

memory location.  This implies that the return value of an InOut

argument should be returned in place (which is #1 above).  Using

this thinking we won't need the AMI_parameters_out argument for

returning the values of InOut arguments.

4)  Now let's put another twist to this story and consider an Out

argument.  Is the parameter string supposed to contain the name

of the AMI parameter name and a place holder for the return value

so that the Init function can modify this string in place when it

outputs the value?

Or, is the parameter string not supposed to include the name of

the Out argument, and is the Init function supposed to modify this

string in place and add that AMI parameter to it?

Or, is the Init function supposed to use the AMI_parameters_out

argument for returning Out parameters?

5)  Studying the spec I also noticed that the AMI_parameters_out
argument

is optional for GetWave, but for Init we don't say that it is

optional, so I assume it is required (correct me if I overlooked

something).  Shouldn't the AMI_parameters_out be consistently

optional or required for both Init and GetWave?

Depending on the answers above, if the output should be placed in

the AMI_parameters_out argument, we can't say that it is optional,

at least not if the input parameter string includes Out or InOut

parameters.

Sorry for the lengthy discussion here.  I almost feel like I may not

see the tree from the forest here, and if that is true, please correct

my "observations" above.  On the other hand, I the tree is indeed not

visible in our "spec forest", I think we need to do a little more
cleaning.

==