[ibis-macro] Re: AMI spec. intent, re: aggressors/xtalk?

  • From: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 21:19:23 -0400

 Dave-

Your first set of presumptions is correct. The EDA tool calculates the impulse response from the aggressor Tx to the victim Rx and places that in the second row of impulse_matrix.

The other calculation you suggest would be incorrect because the signal from the victim transmitter is different from the signal from the aggressor transmitter, so you can't just add the impulse responses from the two sources together.

If Va(t) is the aggressor transmitter signal, Vv(t) is the victim transmitter signal, ha(t) is the impulse response from the aggressor transmitter to the receiver and hv(t) iis the impulse response from the victim transmitter to the receiver, then the signal Vr(t) at the receiver is

Vr(t) = Va(t) x ha(t)  + Vv(t) x hv(t)

which is not equal to

Vv(t) x (ha(t) + hv(t))

Hope this helps.
Mike Steinberger

On 5/3/2012 9:05 PM, David Banas wrote:

Hi experts,

If I'm using a AMI-compliant EDA tool, in order to perform a channel simulation, which includes cross-talk from an aggressor, such that my topology looks something like this:

____________      _________      ____________

| Vic AMI Tx | => | vic.s4p | => | Vic AMI Rx |

____________      _________      ____________

____________      _________      ____________

| Agg AMI Tx | => | agg.s4p | => | Agg AMI Rx |

____________      _________      ____________

And if `agg.s4p' actually represents a measurement of the scattering between the aggressor Tx output and the victim Rx input.

Then is it the intent of the AMI spec. that the EDA tool should calculate the impulse response of the aggressor channel, including any contribution made by the aggressor AMI Tx model's `AMI_Init' function, and feed that into the `AMI_Init' function of the victim AMI Rx model, by placing it in the second row of the matrix that it sends into that function, via the `impulse_matrix' parameter, assuming that the value of the Rx *.AMI file's `Max_Init_Aggressors' parameter is, at least, 1?

If so, what is the utility of this approach over having the EDA tool sum the two impulse responses and feed the resultant vector into the `AMI_Init' function of the victim Rx model?

Thanks,

*David Banas*

/Sr. Member Technical Staff/

Altera <http://www.altera.com/>

+1-408-544-7667 - desk

/ /

/Did you know Altera offers over 150 free online technical training courses <http://www.altera.com/servlets/searchcourse?coursetype=Online&WT.mc_id=t9_ot_mi_mi_tx_a_311>? Take one today!/

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.