[ibis-macro] Re: AMI_GetWave & AMI_Init (Dumbo Questions)

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:43:26 -0500 (EST)

Greg:

1.       Yes

2.       Yes

3.       NO.  If both AMI_Init and AMI_Getwave provide equalization, the
model is said to be a “dual” model.  AMI_Init provides the equalization used
during Statistical Analysis, while AMI_Getwave provides the equalization and
clock ticks used during Time-Domain analysis.  Very generally speaking,
AMI_Init provides an approximate model that runs fast, while AMI_Getwave
provides a more accurate model that takes 50-100X longer to run.  How well
results from Statistical and Time-Domain simulations is a measure of the
quality of the model and the simulator. YMMV.

4.       AMI_Getwave allows effects to be modeled that cannot be captured in
AMI_Init:

a.       True nonlinear behavior

b.      Time-varying behavior (think DFE tap adaptation)

c.       Pattern-specific behavior

d.      Jitter tracking and other CDR-specific behavior

Hope that helps,

Todd.

VP, Software Products

Signal Integrity Software Inc. •  <http://www.sisoft.com/> www.sisoft.com

6 Clock Tower Place • Suite 250 • Maynard, MA 01754

(978) 461-0449 x24  •   <mailto:twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx> twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx

“Three in the morning and I'm still awake,
So I picked up a pen and a page … ”

                                             -Sidewalk Prophets

#1) AMI_GetWave is optional, its existence is tot"Muranyi,
Arpad" ---03/09/2012 01:10:32 PM---Greg, #1)  AMI_GetWave is optional, its
existence is totally

From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03/09/2012 01:10 PM
Sent by: ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

Greg,

#1)  AMI_GetWave is optional, its existence is totally
up to the model maker.  They would typically include
a GetWave function in the model if they want to be able
to do time domain analysis with the model.  The Init
function is only useful for statistical analysis.

#2)  AMI_Init is required.  It serves the purpose of
setting up some memory related stuff, but in addition
to that it can also perform filtering.  The Init
function is not required to include any filtering
algorithms, but it is required to for initialization.

#3)  AMI_GetWave was defined in the original AMI
specification (in v5.0).  There are a few BIRDs for
v5.1 which mention AMI_GetWave, most notably the
“AMI Flow BIRD”, BIRD 120.1

#4)  I don’t recall any BIRDs for v5.1 which deal with
AMI_Init, but it may be mentioned in some.

I hope this answers your questions.