[ibis-macro] Re: AMI Flow BIRD - Editorial Comments: Explaining what is meant by "convolved with the Rx filter".

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Steinberger <msteinb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:31:30 -0400

 Mike

I'd agree with your first statement. However, the paragraph in question is a mess and mixes up device modeling and channel modeling without being clear about either.

As for non-LTI systems, we model them all the time. Switches, repeaters, adaptive equalized re-drivers, and re-timers are used in the systems we see. All exhibit non-linear and time-varying behavior.

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

On 8/26/2010 12:01 PM, Mike Steinberger wrote:
It seems to me that the model is required to be LTI, but that which is being modeled is assumed to be LTI.

If some day we analyze a system for which the buffer amplifiers and/or channel is not LTI (say, the vibrating cable in a disk drive), we're not going to give up. We 're going to do the best we can with an LTI model which is admittedly only an approximation of the actual system.

Mike S.

On 08/26/2010 10:47 AM, Scott McMorrow wrote:
"The combination of the transmitter's analog back-end, the serial channel and the receiver's analog front-end *are assumed to be* linear and time invariant."

Shouldn't this be changed to *are required to be*

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

On 8/26/2010 6:41 AM, Walter Katz wrote:
Arpad,

I suggest that the following be changed (page 139):

| This proposal breaks SERDES device modeling into two parts - electrical
| and algorithmic. The combination of the transmitter's analog back-end, the
| serial channel and the receiver's analog front-end are assumed to be
linear
| and time invariant. There is no limitation that the equalization has to be
| linear and time invariant. The "analog" portion of the channel is
| characterized by means of an impulse response leveraging the pre-existing
| IBIS standard for device models.

| This proposal breaks SERDES device modeling into two parts - electrical
| and algorithmic. The combination of the transmitter's analog back-end, the
| serial channel and the receiver's analog front-end are assumed to be
linear
| and time invariant. The algorithmic model of a Tx model represents the
| signal processing that is performed on the stimulus or input to the Tx
| model. This signal processing is also know as equalization or filtering.
| The "analog" portion of the channel is characterized by means of an
impulse
| response leveraging the pre-existing IBIS standard for device models.
There
| is no limitation that the equalization has to be linear and time
invariant.
| If the equalization can be represented as linear and time invariant then
it
| can be represented mathematically as an impulse response of the filter.

I would then change "convolved with the Rx filter" to "convolved with the
impulse response of the filter".

303.449-2308
Mobile 303.883-2120
wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx