[ibis-macro] Re: AMI BIRD Strategic Plan

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:50:05 -0800

Walter:

Since the intent of this BIRD is a compete replacement of two Sections
with revised material, it needs to be technically complete and
useful.

So I suggest that we follow your plan to get the basic
revised syntax and content agreed upon and stabilized.
Then we set it aside and deal with the jitter and possibly
noise syntax issues and definitions.  I would like to have
that included in the same BIRD for IBIS Committee
consideration.

There is no benefit in passing a partially complete BIRD unless
it is acceptable NEVER to add some of the additional parameters.

The only thing that matters is the fully ratified IBIS V5.1
and its corresponding future ibischk5, V5.1.0 parser.  So
the simpler the syntax is, the faster we will get there.

I agree with most of the changes below, but I interpreted that
we did not accept some others.  Because we wanted to move on and
not get bogged down in details during our first pass, we deferred
full discussion, whether or not this was captured fully in the
document or minutes.

So, I would still consider how to handle 5. (CRLF), 7. delete "NA"
as an acceptable value since it corrupts and complicates
the meaning of something as simple as Range and Increment, and 9.
keep Usage and Type as required, even if redundant for sytactical
simplicity.

I also have some other comments which you may not agree with
concerning how we handle the deprecated syntax, but that
will have to deal with this before anything gets approved.
I want Notes 4. and 5. to be handled differently for a start.
Just mentioned that the parameters Format, Model_specific
and Reserved_paremters are allowed, but will be treated as
white space.  That makes the existing V5.0 syntax and future
changes seamlessly compatible with V5.1.

I have other general organizational concerns to make this section
clearer.  I also want the BIRD content to be technically rigorous
and technically reviewed before it is submitted.  So the simpler
the better.

Bob

Walter Katz wrote:
All,

Several of us discussed how to move forward on the AMI BIRD expeditiously. We agreed that the best plan is to remove any non-necessary enhancements to the BIRD, and defer them to a BIRD we will start immediately after this BIRD gets submitted to the Open Forum. I am enclosing an updated BIRD with these changes. On Tuesday I will complete the first pass review of the rest of the document (Section 10, starting on page 15)

Summary of changes:

   1. Remove new reserved Tx Jitter and Rx Clock Recovery parameters
         1. Tx_Dj
         2. Tx_Rj
         3. Rx_Clock_Recovery_Mean
         4. Rx_Clock_Recovery_Rj
   2. Remove tap parameters
         1. Scale
         2. Limit
   3. Remove Environment Variables
   4. Remove AMISearchPath
   5. Allow <CR>  <LF>  in strings
   6. Remove limit on max length of Strings
   7. Allow NA as a valid value
   8. Removed AMI_Version
   9. Requirement for Usage and Type are relaxed for certain Reserved
      Parameters
  10. Kumar?s question, How does this combination prevents
      deconvolution/other techniques to derive the filter response?
         1. I believe this was answered during the presentation on flows.
         2. Any discussions on this should be done in an e-mail thread
            on the reflector

  11. Kumar?s question (re Rx_Receiver Sensitivity) , How the EDA/model
      is expected to use this information in a standard way during
      simulation/post processing?
         1. Any discussions on this should be done in an e-mail thread
            on the reflector
  12. Changes to support conditional processing.

If anyone objects to any of these decisions, I request that they start an e-mail thread on the reflector to present alternative wording in the BIRD.

It is my goal to have a BIRD for the next weeks meeting (Feb 16) that I would be prepared to submit to the Open Forum.

303.449-2308

Mobile 720.333-1107

wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx

www.sisoft.com

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC