[ibis-macro] Re: A_to_D and D_to_A

  • From: Gregory R Edlund <gedlund@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:11:49 -0500

Arpad,

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm still confused, though.  I always thought
that simulators used an analog stimulus function for IBIS models, either in
the form of a ramp or VT curve.  (Let's forget about external models for
the time being.)  Is there something else going on behind the scenes that
I'm not aware of?  Maybe a digital stimulus "kicks off" the ramp or VT
curve?

Greg Edlund
Senior Engineer
Signal Integrity and System Timing
IBM Systems & Technology Group
3605 Hwy. 52 N  Bldg 050-3
Rochester, MN 55901

From:   "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   04/12/2012 12:07 PM
Subject:        [ibis-macro] Re: A_to_D and D_to_A
Sent by:        ibis-macro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greg,

[External Model] or [External Circuit] basically instantiates
a VHDL-AMS, Verilog-AMS, Verilog-A, or SPICE model.  The last
two can only have analog terminals (ports) on their interface.
The first tow may have analog or digital terminals (ports),
and it is up to the model maker to decide who they connect
their model to the outside world.

In IBIS, we assume that the EDA tool’s stimulus is purely
digital (whether this is true in reality or not).  So the
stimulus for a driver, D_drive and the enable signal, D_enable
are considered a logic ‘1’ or ‘0’, not a voltage.

In order to drive the terminals of a purely analog model, you
need to have a D_to_A converter.  The drawing you are asking
about tries to illustrate how these converters are inserted
(automatically) by the EDA tool between its stimulus and the
analog terminals of the model.

Does this answer your question?