[ian-reeds-games] Re: speech output...

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:04:58 -0700

Hi Allan,

I think when map creators specify a sound the game always looks for a .wav file.
It doesn't need to though, so I should fix this.
At certain points in the game's history I played with DirectX SoundEffects which allowed me to change the frequency of the sound as well as apply wave modifiers in game. Those only worked on .wav. But the current game uses a DirectX Audio class which can use mp3 or wav but doesn't let me do those other sound modifying things.

For your other questions:
1 Yes, but line of sight is not implemented in dev 5. I am actually working on it right now. It requires some vector math which I am obviously doing wrong, but I'm getting some help with it tonight. You should see it in the very near future and it will include a blocks_sight flag for terrain such as walls.

2 Thanks for pointing that out. I can add commas in the text which will cause the speech to pause just a little and make it more understandable.
I'll have a look at that.