[ian-reeds-games] question about toggle team

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:42:56 -0400

Hi Craig,
Maybe you explained this already, but I can't remember. So if I already
asked I apologize.

I was just wondering if some  argument could be added to toggle team and
toggle team effect that might change it a little.

I was thinking about how you got the team argument for the change unit that
transforms after death.
I guess my question is , is it possible to make an argument, or actually two
arguments, if possible?

I guess one would be like the team argument, where you can just number the
team you want. The second one is an argument for self effects. For games
with only two teams, player and computer, could there be some kind of
argument that takes the self casters team into account and just switches
sides? It wouldn't work for maps with more then the initial 3 teams, but it
would be very useful.

For instance, I am working on a drow faction that has some slave combat
units.
It has a "threaten" skill which beats the units into doing more, but it
randomly costs points that affect the "mood" of the unit.
Once it reaches that threashold, the hope was that the unit would "switch"
sides and start attacking the  previous owner of the unit.

The big problem is that I can't pick a team for the unit to toggle into or
even change into since the factions are designed to be playable by both
players or the computer, or even the same drow against each other player
versus computer.

So some kind of simple switch would be awesome.
I hope all that made some kind of sense. I am not good at describeing this
stuff. Also, I just can't remember if you said this kind of thing was
possible or not. I know with the version 10 of the files is causeing some
issues  apparently as well with scripts so I am not sure where to go from
this point on the matter.
Thanks for reading at least!
al

Jesus Christ of Nazareth 33AD