[ian-reeds-games] Re: new flag ideas

  • From: Monkey <murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 11:45:49 -0600

Hello,
Personally, I also think some of these might be cool.
More variability with the point messages would sound better, I
definitely agree here.
Not affect flying working with skills would also be useful. To get
around that issue I tried making the skill's damage an effect,
but...then I found that issue where not_affect_flying didn't work,
even though it was a tile effect. Probably because the duration was 0,
but still.
Branch menus would be great, but I don't think this will be coming anytime soon.
Spawn/create item can already be done with scripting. Apparently
there's a change coming with that part of the script so I haven't done
anything with it yet, but once that's out then it shouldn't be that
difficult to make.
Carry over stats could also be interesting. However...I think there
would have to be a few flags for it. Like, the carry over stats flag
in a map file only works if certain units have it. This way, random
knights and whatnot can start with whatever's normal for them, and
only certain units will have whatever they got from the previous
map(s).

On 6/21/15, garrett knight <wolfofthewind48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hay all
So I've come up with a few new ideas I thought I'd share sense
development of a new version is still going on.
insufficient point messages
This could be a flag you could put in a skill file. Let's say you had a
point called energy. Now let's say a skill takes 10 energy but you only
have 8. Instead of saying you don't have enough energy to perform skill.
It takes 10 energy, You could have it say, for example, Your to tired to
do that right now. It takes 10 energy. If you had a point called magic
and a skill took magic, you could have the message be, You can't muster
enough power to do that. Or what ever.
Not affect flying be usable on skills
This is a situation that I have that made me think of this. I have earth
elementals. But I also have units with wings. I don't know about you,
but things like earth quake and fissures shouldn't effect something with
wings in my opinion. Just like a sword shouldn't be able to hit an
airborne dragon. Unless... like, your throwing it or something.
Branched menus
After having one unit that had over 20 plus skills, I chose to cut back
a bit. However, what if we could have branching menus for skills?
Example, let's say those 20 skills were fire, ice, lightning, and earth
based. I could have those 4 options listed as menus, and after hitting
enter on one, be shown the 5 skills in that particular menu. Also, let's
say your pack was about starships. You could have menus for navigation,
repairs, docking bay witch could be for summoning units, or what ever
you wanted.
default skill flags
This might seam pointless to some, but one situation that I can see it
being useful in would be if all or most skills in a pack took 2 actions.
So instead of putting actions_cost=2 in every, single, skill, you could
put it in once in the default skill flags file and be done with it
Extending tactical battle.
Now, this, I'm fairly sure won't be done any time soon. But what if
tactical battle could be extended beyond battle? Example, does anyone
remember the adventure game engine? I know on the website it says it's
no longer supported in favor of a new adventure engine, but what if sed
engine and tactical battle could work together? How would this come in
handy? Well, let's say you wanted to have a story where part of it
involved walking around and talking to NPCs. You could have this done in
what ever the new engine is, and if the time came for battle, you could
have tactical battle launched or something like it and have all your
maps, skills, items, etc there for battle. When the battle is over, you
can go back to the other RPG based part of it. This is just one example.
Again, I don't think this would be done for some time. But just think of
what you could create with it! Also, what if walking around and what not
has the same kind of coordinate based movement as tb? You could have
ledgand of Zelda like dungeons, there for having some puzzle to go along
with your battle! The engine is already amazing, and thank you to all
the map makers, scripters, and especially to Ian for making it. I think
this would be really amazing to see though.
spawn/create item
Anyone ever had a skill that you wanted to create either an equipable or
consumable item? I have. I have a fairy in my main map pack that I'm
making. She has a few brewing skills that allow her to brew healing,
mana, stamina, and cure potions. Sense they can't be items, they have to
be points. That's OK, I'm not complaining. But what if they could be
items? Another use for this would be if you had, say, a blacksmith. And
he had armor/weapon creation skills. he could then give those
items/armor to other units.
Carry_over_stats
I also think it would be cool if there was a flag you could use in a map
file that would carry over your stats, points, items, equipped items,
etc, to the next map. So what you end with in the first is what you
start with in the second. And it would keep going until you didn't have
the carry_over stats flag in a map.
Any feed back on these ideas would be cool. And if any of them get
added, thank you for taking the time out to code in such features. I'm
hoping more then a few people find these useful.

--
-Mew