[ian-reeds-games] Re: looking for some help

  • From: Carlos Macintosh <sleepio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 05:57:55 -0400

In your hsield bash skill you have health_inflict=0
unfortunately this doesn't work. YOu hvae to amke it at least 1. Then your hsield will actually mod the health inflict. I'm not sure why this is.units against it or something

On 3/16/2015 11:56 PM, garret knight wrote:
Did, still a no go. Sighs. Oh well. It looks like I might have to just scrap that skill for now. Maybe if there's ever a way to keep people from using a skill unless they have a sertent item equipped i can put it back in. Again, thanks all for your help. The ai is doing what it should again and everything else is working.

On 3/16/2015 7:34 PM, Monkey wrote:
Not sure if it'll help, but add an equip_type= flag to your shield, as
well as to the unit that bears it. Make sure the text after the = is
the same in both instances.

On 3/16/15, garret knight <wolfofthewind48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yep, that's all done, and after putting the wait flag for the ai, things
acted normaly. But there's still the question of why the shield bash
skill isn't working like I intended. Here's the meet of the shield bash
skill

Skill
10
|flags
description an attack that drives your shield at a foe. You must, of
course, be wielding a shield for this to work.
enemy
ai_attack
actions_cost=1
energy_cost=15
health_inflict=0
sound=bash
range=1

Now here is the meet of the shield item that my hero starts out with.
The intent of this is to make it so the skill only does damage when you
have a shield equipped

Item
10
|flags
description surrithia's childhood shield. Rather splintered, but still
usable.
equip_slots=left_hand
health_protect=3|normal,2|demonic
shield_bash_health_inflict_mod=30

On 3/15/2015 5:54 PM, Monkey wrote:
Also, did you use the enemy flag in the skills in question?

On 3/15/15, Monkey <murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The ai_wait flag goes in the unit files. You can set it in the default
one, if you'd rather do that.

Sight range is set, kay. Did you also set the range for each skill,
like Carlos suggested?

On 3/15/15, Garrett <wolfofthewind48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Another question I forgot to put in the last message, where do you set
that
flag? The ai wait one.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 15, 2015, at 7:19 PM, Carlos Macintosh <sleepio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Are you using fog of war flags, use unseen/unexplored If so, you need
make sure all units have a sight range flag set. Put it in default
unit
flags to make it easier.
All skills need to have a range. The default range is 0.
If you use fog of war flags you should make sure you enable
ai_wait_until_enemy_in_sight in order to minimize lag on large maps.

On 3/15/2015 4:59 PM, garret knight wrote:
yep, the ai_attack flag is present in the skills in question. The
thing
is though that the units aren't even moving. They just stand there
and
look pritty. The units that i'm trying to use the shield bash skill
don't
have any protection flags. This is strange.

On 3/15/2015 1:50 PM, Monkey wrote:
The massive lag is something that is a side effect of large maps. I
don't think the terrain has anything to do with it, seeing as I
removed the terrain from one of my maps just to see if there was a
difference and there wasn't.
It seems to be mainly map size and the amount of units on it...at
least, that's my guess.

The enemies aren't attacking? Hmm...try adding the ai_attack flag to the attacking skills, if you haven't already and see if that works.

The unit you're using the shield skill on. Does it have a
health_protect flag? Because if so, it's possible that the number
there is too high and therefore the shield won't damage it because
of
that.

On 3/15/15, garrett knight <wolfofthewind48@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hay all
I have a few questions that i'm hoping that I can get some answers
to.
First off, in 1 of my maps, I have the hole map set up as a maze.
For
what ever reason, when the player turn ends, there's this massive
lag
spike before the battle log is displayed, and at witch time,
nothing
happens. The maze has quite a few twists and turns, and i'm
wondering
if
it might be just that the map is to complex for the computer? There
are
a few places where you have to use a leap skill to get over terrain
that
will pritty much mop the floor with you as soon as you step on it.
Even
when the player unit stands right in front of an enimy, they will
not
attack, even though the skills, teams, and other stuff is set up
right.
Second, I have a shield bash skill, that does 0 damage. But I have
flag on the shield in particular that the player uses that mods the
health inflict number to something like 30, but when using the
shield,
it still does 0 damage even when you equip the shield. Any help on
these
issues would be greatly appreciated. Also i would like to thank
everyone
who has been helping me along so far.
--
-Mew