[ian-reeds-games] items and enemies

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 14:10:36 -0500

Hi Ian,
I was wondering if you planned on making computer controoled teams  eventually
be able to use equipment and items.
Personally, it might not be avoidable.  Bad guys are going to need loot to drop
when they get slaughtered by players. Items also might come in as a victory
condition. For instance, an item could be the mystical ring of doom that is
needed to conquer  overlord psychoManiac of the frowning trees. So the player
vanquishes some monster guarding the  ring and hits the escape point with it in
ppossession. Without the item, the escape would not work.

Secondly, and this is out of pure self interest, I was hoping to redo the
starship map into something that would make  doing scenarios a lot easier.
Also, it would make the map easier for others to use and play with, since all
they had to do was slot in the various items into custom made ships.
Essentially, I have about a dozen templates of diffrent ship classes and each
has slots from one to ten. The stuff gets filled into the slots and there it
is, instant ship. I keep the templates safe, and I can add or subtract whatever
is needed.

Eventually, as you enhance items, the player will be able to designtheirown
ships in game, buying parts and slotting them in to make custom ships for
diffrent scenarios. It might even  end up a little like Craig's command and
conquer, where diffrent items are build and have to be shipped around to build
ships at diffrent shipyards etc and so forth. Still, that is a long way down
the line.
It should be pretty cool if I plan ahead well enough, grin.