[ian-reeds-games] interesting problem

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:34:09 -0500

Hi Ian,
I had some interesting problems, grin.

I am using dev 8. I was testing out the zombie house, and when I realized that
the  structures do not have a blocks_sight flag, I thought I could try putting
terrain under it that would do that. Stupidly, It didn't occur to me that the
block sight flag would remain on the terrain, so the zombies killed three weak
walls and then stood around, lol.

I took out the block sight terrain under the weak walls, and they attacked the
walls and could see my guy...but still do not move forward that round.

I added blocks_sight to the wall terrain, and it was so cool. I was able to
"see" outside windows which were terrain, but were not blocking sight, so you
could look out a window, see outside just like in real life, whilet he walls
block the sight everywhere else.

My first problem is that structures can move onto tiles with blocks sight
terrain, but once on that terrain, even with the flying tag, they cannot see
out of it, thus the doors and gates can't close if they are on a wall when
starting, more or less the "open" position.

So essentiallyI am not sure what to do.

I have to play further into the map, but I am thinking that  some of the
zombies might spawn outside sight range, and so stand still. So I think I am
going to have to give them a sight_range of 100. If the player units are in the
house, I am not sure if the distant spawning zombies will see them or react to
them otherwise since the bad guys on this map are coming to the player units
and not the other way around.

Just some food for thought.