[ian-reeds-games] Re: beginners guide music

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 00:33:10 -0700

Hey Allan,

For markdown I use a program called Pandoc. I use it as a command line tool so it's not the friendliest thing but it's built into an explorer program I use so I end up pressing enter on a file and it converts it. Unfortunately my setup is pretty custom so there's problably a simpler way to get markdown converting to HTML from scratch.

I know Craig got markdown working for his documentation, perhaps he can shed some light on an easier way.

Here are the command lines I use:
%File% should be replaced with the file name.
This one converts it to an html document and adds the table of contents at the top. C:\Data\Apps\EdSharp\Convert\Pandoc\bin\pandoc.exe,-f markdown -t html --toc -s %File% -o %File%.html
This one converts it to html without the table of contents.
C:\Data\Apps\EdSharp\Convert\Pandoc\bin\pandoc.exe,-f markdown -t html -s %File% -o %File%.html

I used this website to learn how to write markdown:
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

Don't get overwhelmed with all the things it supports though.
As I said before I use very few features.
Basically it's good to know how it groups sentences into paragraphs, how to do headings, list items / bullets and eventually links.
And of course to have a program that changes the markdown into HTML.
But that's pretty much all I use.

And I'm happy to run the conversion from markdown to html for you, but in the long run it's better if you can convert it on your machine so you can proofread the HTML and make sure it came out the way you expected.

I really like markdown. It's spoiled me so that now whenever I have to write HTML by hand I cringe and wish I were back in markdown.

As far as advice I think you should do what you think will be a good benefit to players. Most notably coming up with a less overwhelming way of helping people get into map creation would be very helpful.
I think that's what your first few sections are trying to do.
And I hadn't even thought of giving people links to sound effect and music sites. That's a great idea. I'm interested to read the GoldWave section myself sometime as I have zero sound editing skills right now. If you can find an existing tutorial for getting started with GoldWave it might be easier to link to it, but then again I think it's a somewhat different experience to use the program with a screen reader instead of sight.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any other help with markdown.