[ian-reeds-games] Re: auto pilot

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:06:54 -0600

Yeah, that really is a good idea Carlos.
What I really like about it is that the player is still responsible for choosing the strategy and commanding the units, but the commands can stretch beyond a single turn so you don't have to baby the unit each turn to get it to the destination location. And of course this could eventually be done for telling a unit to patrol an area or stand guard until an enemy is nearby and then attack the enemy, etc. This is like what Time of Conflict does, and in fact what pretty much all real time strategy games do. I've even played RTS where you could give multiple commands, such as move here, then move there, then start mining this resource, etc.

I don't have time to implement it right now though, but I do intend on making it possible to override the AI for the RPG using script in the near term. So likely I'll be able to back port that feature to TB and then people can write really custom AI scripts as Vojta suggests. In fact once people can override the AI I could really see many more creative maps made for TB as the AI seems to be one of the big limiting factors right now.

Ian Reed

On 8/21/2013 5:57 AM, Carlos Macintosh wrote:
Yeah that was availabl a long time ago, but only for however much he was able to move. For example if a unit had 9 actions and move costed 3 actions you could only select a tile 3 squars away. Btw, a unit on autopilot would move through terrain with effects on it. It would be your job to guide him/her past or around the detrimental squares/.