[ian-reeds-games] age of warlords inaccuracies

  • From: me me <sleepio1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 02:50:23 -0500

Hi, found some flakiness with age of warlords v2. I know converting everything was a monumental process though, so a bit of forgetfullness here and there is to be eexpected.

1 looks like the diplomacy skill doesn't work anymore to convert structures in the axis and allies map pack 2 the inspire, battlecry, intimidate, blood transfer and some other skills restore things above the maximum. For most of these skills, that's ok, but for the ones that restore health, especially the life transfer, things can get real insane real fast. Have you ever try to kill a liche with 50 of 17 hp and 49 of 12 energy while it's inundating you with negative energy blasts? It's hard. It's really hard. 3 bards can be pretty damn potent when there's more than 1 and they are in close proximity. A bard can inspire his bard companion. When this happens, the companion inspires the other bard, and they become a team of destruction as they just keep inspiring each other and then doing damage with their spare action. So I move that inspire be unusable on fellow bards. 4 on the battle at twilight map pack I really feel as though the computer has a huge advantage being able to recruit basilisks and medusa units that can petrify before we have a chance to recruit more than a single will-o-wisp. And they can just keep right on rolling out those medusa archers and basilisks. Because the caverns of chaos is basically a stronghold unit and you start with only a settlement, you are disadvantaged from round 1 even with your additional watch towers and things. And deven more so because there are 2. Maybe you should make it so the caverns of chaos are like downgraded and the computer can eventually upgrade into the caverns of chaos that can recruit medusa archers and basilisks after like 12 turns or something, similar to the wait for keep to fortress. As it was, I made it like 40 rounds before amabandoning the game. I felt like I was fighting a trench battle. I felt as though I was battling for a single square and a single misstep could make me lose that square and have to start over battling for it again. It also sucks that there's only 1 way to cross into enemy territory and you can't build any buildings or towers there. As it is, the watch towers you build are placed so far from the fighting, due to the presence of the river, that they can't really help you unless the enemy has made it past your defenders. By that time, the towers won't stop them from killing you anyway. it is a really innovative map pack though, and it requires thinking. I wish there were some more rampart squares. THat would make my life a bit easier too.