[ian-reeds-games] a thought about rpg making...

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:27:58 -0500

Hi Ian and all,
I agree about entombed music and sound effects are tops. I played it again to
remind myself and yeah, it all seems so natural how all the sounds work. Back
then I didn't think much of it, cause I wasn't interested in sounds. However,
now, it is like, Wow! That was great! Whoever did those sounds are keen in my
book.
anyway...
Since the cat got let out of the bag, I figured I might as well open a can of
tuna.

I was thinking about real time town and "dungeon" exploration which is a
generic term for inside or outside maps.

Some of the things that players might want precreated for them is weather,
movement of time, food and water consumption, the timingof
caravans/merchants/units from town to town, wandering units/monsters,
randomized lists for treasure, shopkeepers, monsters, special events etc and so
forth.

One of the biggest things I was thinking about was the game system itself. I
think you are going to need a "getting started system" that is balanced and
works for those who want to create scenarios but not whole rpg systems.
That way it is usable out of the box, so to speak.

As for systems, is it possible to cater to diffrent types of systems developed
by rpg makers? For example, vampire is a very diffrent system from dungeons and
dragons. Vampire involves an attributte plus skill=number of d10 rolled with a
difficulty of 7 or higher as a success.  So it is all skill based.
D and D is a class system, where each class increases in power based on their
profession, and uses a d20 with modifiers to hit a calculated number.

This would also include levelling up. Usually getting experience points, or
being awarded points to stick into skills and and traits, or getting bigger
bonuses for various rolls, as well as increasing totals of health, mana,
attributes or whatever. Taht all seems like a rpg makers perogative but I don't
know so I mention it.

In entombed, the things that I thought worked well were the  equip screen. It
didn't go far enough however, and should have included  other body parts so
that magical items could be used that wasn't strictly armor. Fingers, eyes,
toes, nose, ears, back, neck...I am thinking this would need to be part of the
base system and let creators move froward from there to add the  weird stuff.
Also, templates would have to be made for the various critters all over the
place, like centaurs, spiders and dogs to name a few.

I felt the damageing body parts was interesting, but not necessary. I do not
knowhow important it would be to people to include such an ability. Personally,
I don't mind the tried and true one health fits all, lol.

The town menus was actually not bad, and I can see where something like this
would be nice to have not only in smaller towns, but inside a building. For
instance, you could walk into a tavern and have several options, like go to the
gambling table, go play some darts, go get a drink and information, or go sit
ina  cornerand act  mysterious, etc and so forth.

Other times, a person might want to present the city as a map, and then the
player wanders around the map and gets into trouble or finds submaps  or jobs
etc and so forth. Baldurs gate the city was  actually several maps large, and
that is not counting the underground sewage  labyrinth, and theives guild. each
section of the city was an adventure all by itself.

 so it is good that both types are supported, and hopefully both types can
exist in teh same campaign.

What I didn't like too much was the inventory. Entombed had to lump everything
together since there was just so much stuff to use and wear etc. I would have
prefered inventory for each unit however, and I am sure that can be streamlined
somehow for makers.

I don't mind the battles being menu driven or tb style, either or works,
although I do like TB better for most ocasions. It just feels more like the old
gaming I used to do, lol. I remember playing d and d all weekend, living on
nothing but pizza delivered by dominos. Dominos was still saying it could
deliver in under thirty minutes, but our street was so hard to find, we got
several free pizzas before they finally figured it out, grin.

Lastly is the dungeon exploration itself. That is tough, cause ont he one hand,
you got entombed as an example. There is alot of keys that are really necessary
to  keep someone from loseing their way. Anchor points or markers might be a
good idea for that kind of thing, but the nearest unexplored available was
perhaps the most pressed key in the entire game. It really helped alot, but I
don't know if the rpg maker will nmeed that or not, or if it wil be a flag or
something similar. Entombed had random maps, but maybe  in the campaigns    to
be made, there won't be such a huge need, other then placing markers for a
player to help get back to wherever they want to go.
Something to think about , anyway.