[ian-reeds-games] Re: To summon or not to summon...

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 03:53:36 -0400

That sounds pretty interesting. I'll Look into that option. Is that script
now available? I don't remember seeing it.

Al

From: allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] To summon or not to summon...
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:53:25 -0400

I have a problem, and also a StarCraft update for the ones of people who
are
interested, LOL.
With the advancement of tb in terms of new flags and scripts the work on
the
Terran faction has gone pretty good. This is not going to be anything like
warlords. Maybe war craft?
My hope is that it will be similar enough to the game so that those who
have
played it could see a similarity, while those who haven't get a taste of
what it's really like.
I'm hoping within the week, God willing, I can actually have something
available for testing the Terran faction.
One of the cool things about the Terran are the structures called add-ons.
They open up technology and help diversify various units with special
abilities. There also able to be used by multiple flying buildings.
One of the ad on buildings is called a reactor. This allows a structure to
build more than one unit at a time. This is very useful because everything
takes rounds to build or train. Because of this time factor, speed is
king.
If you can get your troops out faster into an expansion area or battle,
then
you're that much ahead of the game and/or the other player.
My problem is twofold. One is that with the reactor I'm not really sure
how
to simulate this increase production. I thought maybe being able to summon
two units at a time might work, but not thrilled with that particular
idea.
What if someone wanted to make two different types of units at the same
time
instead of two from one type.
In addition all the structures that produce units don't start with the
ability to produce them all. Different buildings open up these units, and
one might not necessarily follow the full tech tree. Someone might want to
skip the biological units and go straight for the mechs. So I can't just
do
a broad stroke, for instance removing and adding all the skills all at
once.
I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too hard about it.

My other problem is that in StarCraft there is different levels of mineral
mines and gas geysers. In addition they all are not static. As resources
are
taken away they begin to dwindle until it disappears. As it turns out,
this
is actually become more more important because if a resource doesn't
deplete, then why move to a different expansion? Why would you fight for
an
expansion?
Anyway, long story short, I'm hoping to get some ideas about these two
things if anyone has the time and inclination.

Thanks for reading,
al

of Nazareth 33AD