[ian-reeds-games] Re: To summon or not to summon...

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 17:44:36 -0400

Sure, no problem. I'll try to do better, grin.

May be a specific example will be helpful.
I have a structure called a barracks.
The barracks start off being able to train the Marine. The Marine is just a
basic grunt.
As time goes by the player will be able to build more buildings which then add
to the ability of the barracks to build more diverse types of soldiers.
An example is a building called the ghost Academy. The ghost is a biological
soldier that can eventually cloak.
There is a building called the tech lab which the barracks can build. It allows
the barracks to gain the ability to create two new soldiers called the reaper
and the marauder.

Essentially, the player can only build one of these units at a time.
But if the player adds something called the reactor to the barracks, the
barracks will be able to produce two units at the same time.
The problem I am having is that the barracks could be different from player to
player. Someone could hate dealing with marauders and so they never elect the
ability for their barracks. Someone could avoid building a ghost Academy and so
never having to deal with ghosts.
So what I'm getting at is that the barracks skill lineup could be different
each time it's used. On top of this each unit that I mentioned can be upgraded
at least two or three times.

Normally I would have the skill remove itself during the time it's taking to
train the unit, and when the unit is ready it pops up a new skill so that unit
can be summoned.
So my first thought was to remove the other skills that would research and
summon the other units. But I would not know at any time if the player had all,
some, or none of the other skills.

To make a long story longer… I can't figure out how to make sure only one unit
can be made at a time, and also if reactor is attached how to make it possible
for the player to make two units at a time.
I hope that helps explain my situation. If it still doesn't make sense then I'm
out of luck, LOL.

With the tiles that's another interesting and convoluted subject. In StarCraft
2, the player has access to places on the map where they can gather resources
which power the economy of all their buildings and units. These are in the form
of minerals and gas.
In the cited game the player orders his or her harvesting units. These units go
to these special tiles and start mining them. As they mind the stuff and bring
it to their base, the amount that is left to be gathered on that tile starts to
decrease. Eventually the tile will disappear and that particular resource will
be tapped out.
Since these are very important resources for all three factions, when this
happens the players/computer will expand operations into areas called
expansions. From what I can understand these expansion areas provide more
minerals and gas tiles, but also causes the different opposing sides to fight
over the dwindling resources.

So if you control the resources, you control the map and the enemy will not be
able to replenish their units or build new structures.
So how do I make a tile slowly lose its usefulness.

Thanks for any help,
Al